Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I decide which microstepping settings to use.

Posted by scubaguy 
How do I decide which microstepping settings to use.
November 07, 2014 10:28PM
I'm putting together my first reprap. I've read the wiki about what microstepping is, but I couldn't really find any info pertaining to why someone would choose one level over the other. Or if there are advantages/disadvantages to going too high/low.

The board I have is a Sanguinololu, and by default the jumpers are set for Sixteenth microstepping.

My stepper motors are mixed and matched, I have both 1.8 degree and 0.9 degree, so also unsure if I would want to mix the micro stepping accordingly so that they have equal steps (for example use eighths stepping on the 0.9 degree, and sixteenth on the 1.8 degree, which if I'm correct means they will operate with the same amount of steps right)

PS: These are the 1.8 steppers I'm using [www.ebay.com] I don't have a link to the 0.9 steppers, as their model number does not bring any good search results, but they are of almot equal size and weight as my 1.8 ones, although much higher resistance, I believe about 20 ohms per coil.
Re: How do I decide which microstepping settings to use.
November 07, 2014 10:34PM
most run everything at 1/16 mostly to lower the noise and make smoother movements

mixed 0.9 and 1.8 wont matter it will work.

depending on what axis they are on you may want to play with 1/8 micro stepping
Re: How do I decide which microstepping settings to use.
November 08, 2014 06:28AM
The higher the microstepping, the better. Difference from 1/2 to 1/4 is much more than from 1/16 to 1/32, though.

The pretty much only limiting factor is execution speed of the controller. Depending on firmware it maxes out between 15'000 and 100'000 steps/second. See [reprap.org]

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login