Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New here! Looking for feedback on a printer I'm considering purchasing

Posted by FLY-FAST 
New here! Looking for feedback on a printer I'm considering purchasing
November 10, 2014 10:06PM
Hi.

I've been trolling the forums for a while learning what I could and figured I'd create my own account now that I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a printer.

I am looking for a 'kit' to build that has at least an 8"x8"x5" build envelope (or larger), SD card reader, heated bed, a large user base for community support, and in an ideal world an LCD. All for less than $500.00.

Prototyping and just building cool stuff is the impetus behind my purchasing a printer.

After reviewing my options, it looks like the Prusa RepRap i3 may be a good fit for my needs. One thing I'm still a little bit confused about - is the Prusa RepRap i3 different than the Mendel?

I found the following kit on eBay that I can grab for $440.00. (this would include an aluminum frame):

[www.ebay.com]

I was hoping to get some feedback on this and maybe a few other printers/links that I should be looking at given my needs / price point.

Many thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2014 10:07PM by FLY-FAST.
Re: New here! Looking for feedback on a printer I'm considering purchasing
November 11, 2014 04:02AM
This looks like a passable kit, but I would not recommend buying it. It uses ACME leadscrews, which are less accurate than normal threaded rods. The extruder looks somewhat sketchy, with what appears to be an older hotend design (that the 3D printer community moved away from for a reason). They're also using what appears to be a custom i3 design, which I don't like, as it might make upgrading harder in the future. Being an eBay kit, there is little to no accountability, and I would not be surprised if it was using cheap steppers and/or electronics. If you want a prusa i3 kit, I would advise you to get the Prusa i3 Rework kit from 3d Printer Czar (http://3dprinterczar.com/shop/3dprinters/prusa-i3/). The seller seems to be reputable, and the printer design is the standard i3 rework, making future upgrades easier. The 3D Printer Czar kit doesn't have a SD card reader, but you can get a combo SD reader/LCD screen off of eBay for $12-25 (depending on the screen size).

A few that I found are:
[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]
[www.ebay.com]

Also, the RepRap Prusa Mendel i3 is a variant of the (RepRap) Prusa Mendel i2, which is a variant of the (once again, RepRap) Prusa Mendel, which is a variant of the original RepRap Mendel. The i3 is incredibly different than the i2, the i2 is mostly identical to the original Prusa Mendel, and the Prusa Mendel is more or less a MUCH simpler/less complex and more reliable Mendel.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 04:09AM by solomondg.
November 11, 2014 11:24PM
Thanks! Can anyone else please lend their expertise here?
November 11, 2014 11:39PM
6mm acrylic frame prusa I3 knock off. Pure garbage. But it's got a hell of an Ebay page. "Up to 99.99% printing acuracy!!!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2014 11:40PM by DisruptiveTech.
November 11, 2014 11:45PM
DisruptiveTech
6mm acrylic frame prusa I3 knock off. Pure garbage. But it's got a hell of an Ebay page. "Up to 99.99% printing acuracy!!!"

Can you recommend a printer for ~$500.00 that isn't garbage?
November 12, 2014 12:08AM
This is not a printer. This is a kit. Capitalism is a crude bitch. She rewards the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately. suckers like you... no offense... get roped into believing vendors with great pictures and crappy products.
November 12, 2014 12:09AM
DisruptiveTech
This is not a printer. This is a kit. Capitalism is a crude bitch. She rewards the lowest common denominator. Unfortunately. suckers like you... no offense... get roped into believing vendors with great pictures and crappy products.

Hrm. OK... Can you suggest something then please?
November 12, 2014 12:12AM
Are you affiliated with this product?

How much are you getting paid?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 12:32AM by DisruptiveTech.
November 12, 2014 01:08AM
DisruptiveTech
Are you affiliated with this product?

How much are you getting paid?

Not quite sure where you are going with this... I'm not affiliated with the product nor am I getting paid. I thought this would be a good venue to getting some objective advice.

So, it seems to be the general consensus that I should stay away from this model. What about the Prusa i3 by folger-tech? I noticed he has sold close to 400 kits and has a 99.5% positive feedback rating. I can pick-up one of his kits for $330 shipped. I could add an lcd/sd reader for $25.00.

If his kit is also something to steer away from, what should I look at?
November 12, 2014 01:31AM
Nice. You almost pass for a native English speaker.
November 12, 2014 01:56AM
DisruptiveTech
Nice. You almost pass for a native English speaker.

If you don't want to help, then don't. But, there is no reason to be a dick.
November 12, 2014 08:18AM
Not sure why disruptivetech is being so hostile...

I always try to find stuff that ships within my country if that helps. try looking around for us based companies (for some reason in my head I made the assumption you're based in the US) such as Makerworks, makergear, makerfarm, can't remember them all off the top of my head, but htere are a ton out there, maybe some others can chime in.

best of luck
November 12, 2014 08:48AM
I purchased one of the Folger Tech kits. It is on the way. It took 9 business days for it to ship. There is a thread about this kit, that i have been following.

Folger Prusa i3 Kit from ebay
November 12, 2014 10:23PM
So, it looks like the Folger-Tech Prusa i3 kit has been well received by this forum. Anyone disagree with this? Any advice would be much appreciated,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login