Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PLA to be made from poo.

Posted by DisruptiveTech 
PLA to be made from poo.
November 12, 2014 05:15PM
Nature Works just got $2.5 million in funding from the US department of energy to develop bio methane to lactic acid conversion technology; lactic acid being the main building block of PLA. Bio methane is derived from organic matter such as animal manure, sewage, and municipal solid waste. Poop is interesting: [youtu.be]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2014 06:50PM by DisruptiveTech.
Re: PLA to be made from poo.
November 13, 2014 06:29AM
Ive always wondered, how can we make printing PLA smell as bad as ABS
November 13, 2014 06:47AM
Basically corn is also made from poo and pee partially, fertilizer is used to give nutrients to the soil that grow corn. Unless they use artificial fertilizers.

However, it of course, is nonsense to state that it is 'made from poo'. There are so many refinements made to the materials they can hardly be qualified as being 'made from poo' smiling smiley

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
November 13, 2014 06:54AM
Somebody is going to have to contact the "South Park" producers about updating their "Cycle of Poo" song..... grinning smiley
November 13, 2014 12:09PM
next up poo poo filament.
But it's very environmental friendly.

BotFeeder - Professional Manufactured 3D Filament
November 13, 2014 01:23PM
If they can make it out of bio methane, they can make it out of regular methane (natural gas). But if they started making PLA out of fossil fuels, I'd imagine it would hurt PLA's image as eco friendly, even though it'd still be biodegradable.
November 13, 2014 01:30PM
DisruptiveTech
If they can make it out of bio methane, they can make it out of regular methane (natural gas). But if they started making PLA out of fossil fuels, I'd imagine it would hurt PLA's image as eco friendly, even though it'd still be biodegradable.

Good point you got there.
We're all living in an era that constantly looking for new source of energy.
If they're able to extract bio methane, it would be a breakthrough. A better future for all of us.

BotFeeder - Professional Manufactured 3D Filament
November 13, 2014 03:27PM
DisruptiveTech

It's not really biodegradable by nature anyway. Only if processed. I like to say it's Biobased.

What's really biodegradable to me? Stuff like Glycix!!! cool smiley Check it out here: [www.biobasedpress.eu]

November 13, 2014 05:47PM
I wouldn't worry about plastic being biodegradable. Eventually, through natural selection or genitic engineering, microbes will evolve to eat plastics. There's a smorgasbord of high energy hydrocarbons just floating around in the ocean and in landfills waiting to be exploited.
November 14, 2014 04:31AM
DisruptiveTech
I wouldn't worry about plastic being biodegradable. Eventually, through natural selection or genitic engineering, microbes will evolve to eat plastics. There's a smorgasbord of high energy hydrocarbons just floating around in the ocean and in landfills waiting to be exploited.

Just wait until those microbes escape from the laboratory and eat all the plastics in your house. Your synthetic clothes will just droop from your body and your phones, bracelets, everything will just disintegrate slowly winking smiley haha. Would be quite funny if that could happen. Imagine me typing this message on my keyboard, while it slowly just gets eaten away from under mmmy fnnrgs.....

November 14, 2014 01:48PM
I knew that the DoE has a habit of sending my money down the crapper, but I never thought they'd be so literal about it.

Headline: "US government spends millions searching for a way to sell its citizens their own feces."
November 14, 2014 02:34PM
Explains why my prints are often crap.
November 14, 2014 02:57PM
dave3d
Explains why my prints are often crap.
XD
November 14, 2014 03:02PM
i've certainly seen the DoE "waste" money in worse ways.....

(Just can't resist a combined Poop pun and Government spending combo)
November 14, 2014 06:37PM
Here's the article: [biomassmagazine.com]

Apparently, they've already done test a batch and they're going to begin production in 2-3 years. I think it'll probrably be a much better process than what they're doing now. People think if it's made out of corn, it must be eco friendly. But how eco friendly is PLA really?

Corn needs fertilizers and insecticides which are made from petrochemicals. Then there's the diesel to run the harvesters and the trucks to get it to the plant. Not to mention the land and water usage. Plus the processing plant that probrably runs on coal or natural gas. That's why ethanol never took off. It takes 1.3 gallons of oil to make 1 gallon of ethanol. But, it's all about marketing.

And really, what's $2.5 million? They'll make it back in taxes from Nature Works if they pump out more PLA.
November 15, 2014 05:53AM
Over half the population of the world cooks and heats their homes with cowpies. That's over four billion people. Using a PLA printed kitchen utensil isn't too much of a stretch in a household like that. I say it's an idea that could please half the world.

T.S. Elliot wrote: "Between the idea and the reality, falls the shadow..." It's in that shadow world great discoveries are made.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login