Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dual extruders on ramps 1.4

Posted by nsozan 
Dual extruders on ramps 1.4
November 19, 2014 05:08PM
Hello, im wondering how people run dual extruders on a ramps 1.4? since an extra extruder will add a 6th stepper motor?

-Andreas
Re: Dual extruders on ramps 1.4
November 19, 2014 05:48PM
Hi, I put four extruders with ramps 1.4 without adding steppers. With my marlin and a card to 8 relays can control up to four extruders with only two drivers.
Otherwise you can mount another external driver taking three free pins to control it.

COMPRA ITALIANO - sostieni le nostre aziende - sostieni la nostra gente - sostieni il tuo popolo - sosterrai te stesso.
Alberto C. felice possessore di una Kossel K2
My Blog - My Thingiverse
November 19, 2014 07:36PM
Hi Andreas. The ramps board is already set up to allow for two extruders. E0 is your first extruder, and E1 is your second extruder. I use marlin firmware, and in the configuration.h file you control how many extruders you have, using the following (at line 65 in mine):

#define EXTRUDERS 2

You then need to use a slicing program that can also handle two extruders. I use slic3r and it works great. You can use one extruder for filament, and the other for support material, or use a different color filament in each extruder. I usually use two different colors so I can get multi-color parts.

Anita
3dbotshack.com
August 09, 2016 11:18PM
Hello everyone,
Could you please attach you configuration h file for the dual extruder set up for the 3d printer. I will be very thankful to you.
Thank you very much.
August 10, 2016 10:57AM
i will post if you really want, but the two main things are these lines:

\\these change your board to recognize it has two hotends and a heated bed rather than a hotend, a fan and a bed
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB

\\simple stating you have two hooked up
#define EXTRUDERS 2

\\the distance between your two nozzles, in my case its 30 mm on the x axis, the first extruder is 0,0
#define HOTEND_OFFSET_X {0.0, 30.00

and dont forget your thermister for your second hotend
August 20, 2016 11:27AM
I tried with it but its not working . Please post the file.
Thank you very much
August 24, 2016 09:59PM
there ya go
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (52 KB)
September 07, 2016 08:56AM
thank you very much for posting the file, i will try with it.
thank you very much once gain.
February 06, 2018 02:46AM
DaGameFace
i will post if you really want, but the two main things are these lines:

\\these change your board to recognize it has two hotends and a heated bed rather than a hotend, a fan and a bed
#ifndef MOTHERBOARD
#define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB

\\simple stating you have two hooked up
#define EXTRUDERS 2

\\the distance between your two nozzles, in my case its 30 mm on the x axis, the first extruder is 0,0
#define HOTEND_OFFSET_X {0.0, 30.00

and dont forget your thermister for your second hotend

Does this imply that I have to give up something like bed heat if adding E1, or is #define MOTHERBOARD BOARD_RAMPS_14_EEB just a good starting point to get all this working?
February 06, 2018 06:22AM
On a ramps you have 3 mosfet

so you can turn on 3 devices

Pick any 3:
fan
hotend 0
hotend 1
heated bed

Its easy to add more mosfets, but then it starts getting non standard as to how they are connected.
So you need to make custom pin files...
February 06, 2018 07:47AM
MagoKimbra
Hi, I put four extruders with ramps 1.4 without adding steppers. With my marlin and a card to 8 relays can control up to four extruders with only two drivers.
Otherwise you can mount another external driver taking three free pins to control it.

Would like to see how you did this
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login