Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Enclosed filament spool holders. Any reason people don't seem to do this often?

Posted by scubaguy 
Enclosed filament spool holders. Any reason people don't seem to do this often?
November 25, 2014 06:10PM
I'm too new to 3d printing to have experienced this myself, but one thing I've read many times is the issue of keeping filament dry, and not allowing humidity to penetrate into it. I don't know what most people's humidity is, but I know my indoor humidity is about 85% right now.

I was thinking, maybe it would be a good idea to make an enclosed spool holder. Basically a sealed box, with a window, and any sort of typical spool roller inside. The filament could be fed through a PTFE tube to the extruder, and some silica packets could be placed in the box to always keep the filament dry, as well as dust free. I realize small amounts of moisture could seep through the tube, but I'm making a guess that it wouldn't be much at all.

After 10 minutes of googling, I haven't seen anyone doing this. Is there some downside i'm not seeing, or am I just overreacting to the possible humidity problem?
Re: Enclosed filament spool holders. Any reason people don't seem to do this often?
November 25, 2014 06:21PM
I normally store filament in a large container if i am not using it.

but on average 1kg will last me just under a week if i am just using one printer. if i have both running, 1kg does not go far
Re: Enclosed filament spool holders. Any reason people don't seem to do this often?
November 25, 2014 07:11PM
People do this all the time, there are a lot of instructions around the web to build filament holders with desiccants out of plastic totes, 5 gallon buckets(what I use based off of 3dPonics design, or at least i think that is who posted it) etc. It is a great idea, go ahead and do it.
November 26, 2014 10:48PM
zerodameaon
People do this all the time, there are a lot of instructions around the web to build filament holders with desiccants out of plastic totes, 5 gallon buckets(what I use based off of 3dPonics design, or at least i think that is who posted it) etc. It is a great idea, go ahead and do it.

Interesting. Do you know where i can find any examples?

I did some searching once again, with extra terms like "bucket filament spool", "dessicant filament spool holder", "plastic tote spool holder", etc, but empty handed once again. I see lots of people storing filament in totes, but none feeding their printer directly from a tote. Was hoping to find some tried and tested methods, before building one myself.

Seems handy to avoid constantly removing and reinserting filament in the extruder, or constantly opening the sealed storage container introducing moisture each time.
November 30, 2014 02:28PM
The issue is I think how much printing do you do? If you use up the spool quickly then there is really nothing to be gained. If you print infrequently then a sealed desiccant spool holder is probably a good idea.
December 01, 2014 03:58AM
My room is always around 55% humidity (typical double-glazed, centrally heated house in the UK).

I use cheap Reprapper and expensive Faberdashery PLA.

I always have a spool out and loaded into the printer, sometimes the same one for two or three months.

I've never had a problem with moisture in the two years I've had my printer.

Andy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2014 04:13AM by ajayre.
December 01, 2014 03:36PM
85%?! Yikes. If you get crazy fluctuations and really want to control it I know they make sponges for instruments that keep humodity constant...you can either soak them in water to add humidity or wring them out and they sap up extra moisture.
December 01, 2014 03:42PM
I finally did find a few examples. They were on thingiverse, and can be found searching there, but didn't show up on any google search. I'll probably build one to be safe, because I just don't like constantly removing and reinserting the filament, and then having to try to retighten the extruder just perfect. I'd rather it always just be ready to go.

My area is pretty rainy and humid, its wintertime and freezing outside but still 80% humidity, and currently also 80% indoors. Anyone know just how fast filament gets too much moisture? Either PLA or ABS? In 80-90% humidity, am I looking at a week, a month, 3 months?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login