Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Path generator for line art?

Posted by shadowphile 
Path generator for line art?
December 17, 2014 07:28PM
I want to generate some 2D patterns where I have more control of the actual nozzle path, rate, extrusion, etc. I could make a 3D design that has very thin width and height and assume the slicer will path it out correctly but that seems dumb.
Any kind of software out there for this? Something that might take a dxf or svg file for the path and allow me to set dynamics like speed and extrusion thickness? I need to generate test patterns but trying to write it all manually in gcode is so much work sad smiley
I want to do some repetitive but simple line-drawings tests to experiment with extrusion qualities and to fine-tune the dimensional accuracies.
thanks
Re: Path generator for line art?
December 19, 2014 12:29AM
this is likely to lead you in the right direction. you want to search for things that do gerber files

[reprap.org]

and the drawing reference as line art. this should get you going!
December 19, 2014 09:52AM
If u have a image of the pattern you can do it. from image to paths , paths to 3dobjet and then Slicer and modifier meshes. With modifier meshes you can "split" your model and modify some parameters of different parts.

I do this from a image.

Sorry for my English.
December 19, 2014 11:10AM
SergioMC
I do this from a image.
Your video is marked private.
December 19, 2014 04:03PM
Sorry. I change it to public.
December 19, 2014 05:01PM
Take a look at inkscape!
[www.inkscape.org]

plugins and add ons will generate g-code that you could feed to printer

Generally does .SVG but can export to most file types

Generate path native and path extensions and plugins will do it

[kalyaev.com]

[opensource.com]

Google search a wonderful wealth of information???

confused smiley
December 21, 2014 06:26PM
The opensource.com link has one wash the file through TinkerCAD (closed source), while the Inkscape link is to a tool which AFAIK only exports G-code intended for milling, so one would need to add the extrusion parameters manually.

Easiest way I know of to get from a vector file to a 3D print file is:

- open in Inkscape
- export to OpenSCAD using one of the plug-ins for that ( [www.shapeoko.com] )
- open in OpenSCAD, tweak thickness
- export to .stl
- slice

I'd love to know of a simpler technique --- one which actually supported arcs / curves would be great, but I suspect the mathematics for that are problematic in terms of the processing time involved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login