STL to G-code conversion problems
May 06, 2010 10:12AM
My RepRap appears to be printing. It printed 3 layers of a shape well. I decided to print something with more height to test its layer-printing capabilities. However, when I tried to convert a downloaded .stl file to G-code, I received the following error: Production exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1. I think this has something to do with the height of the 3D object it is trying to produce the code for. Does anyone know of any good 3D .stl to G-code converter programs? Can someone send me the G-code for something not too complex but of substantial layers so I can test out my RepRap? I just want to see if the z-axis increases by a small enough amount for the layers to stick to each other.

-UTRA
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
May 06, 2010 10:38AM
Did you try using SkeinForge?


Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
May 06, 2010 11:25AM
The cannonical way to convert to G-Code is skeinforge. It's used as much or more than the host software, and even comes with a send.py and RepRapArduinoSerialSender.py, which will send the G-code to the reprap for you, thus completely avoiding the need for the host software.

More info is available on Enrique's Skienforge Blog The information on the reprap wiki is woefully out of date. Or non-existant. Or something. But the blog should point you at the information you need.

There are a couple of other ways to go from stl to g-code, but skeinforge and the host software are the main ones.


--
I'm building it with Baling Wire
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 07:04AM
Oh, are we saying the host software has major problems and doesnt work?

Thats a shame cos the user interface is pretty good.

Im getting the same error all the time.........

Productionexception:java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

im sure I have had the host software working in the past but maybe I imagined it.

If anyone know how to fix would be great.

GRaham
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 07:30AM
Quote
UTRA
Can someone send me the G-code for something not too complex but of substantial layers so I can test out my RepRap?

Why don't you try Thingiverse?

Or even better use this calibration script generator page.
It generates a test object in gcode that can then be printed by the RepRap host software.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2010 07:33AM by rhmorrison.


Bob Morrison
Wörth am Rhein, Germany
"Luke, use the source!"
BLOG - PHOTOS - Thingiverse
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 08:24AM
Seems to be a common problem with Java applications. I can't use AOI because that gives ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException or null pointer execptions all the time. It works for other people though.


[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 08:57AM
Quote

I can't use AOI because that gives ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException

If it's a matter of AoI vs. other STL generating software, you may want to test wether your model is "watertight". A small tool to find out and repair minor issues is Admesh [sites.google.com] .

If you have success in repairing a STL, please document this to help software developers fixing the issue. Exceptions should never happen and a reliable test case is half the way to get rid of the bug.

BTW., host software documentation is here: [reprap.org] and here: [reprap.org] . Feel free to add the pieces missing.


Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY
     
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 10:07AM
Nothing wrong with the models to start with. Most boolean operations result in invalid meshes and out of bounds exceptions though.

Clicking on the GUI often gives null pointer or out of bounds.

I have an outstanding bug report with a simple test case for about two years. It got marked as fixed but isn't so I posted it again. [hydraraptor.blogspot.com] [sourceforge.net]

It does work for other people though. Adrian can model an extruder in it, but I can't even open some his designs. Forrest and I did tests on the same file, same OS, same Java and got different results. Since then I have a new PC with a fresh install but it doesn't work any better.

I try to avoid Java apps because they are always second rate. For example the file open dialog doesn't do what all the other Windows file open dialoges do. You can't type part of a path and get it to show a list of those that match. You can in the Python file open dialogue and any native app, so why not Java?

Also, all Java programs seem to share the same process. If I run something CPU intensive like the RepRap host it stops me using the F1 live timing screen inside a web browser, ridiculous! If I have several instances of AOI open and one locks up, they all lock up and if I kill one they all die.

Apps are also slow and memory hogs.


[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
Re: STL to G-code conversion problems
June 16, 2010 02:25PM
Ah, it's an AoI problem. Perhaps it's a good idea to switch to OpenSCAD [openscad.org] . This software might be the future for RepRap, as it allows collaboration on the same model. Some people are already working on getting all the geometry ported: [forums.reprap.org] , second or third post.


Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY
     
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login