Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

print cost

Posted by tsmith01 
print cost
December 29, 2014 02:25PM
I'm trying to calculate print cost based on how much filament was used. This would be very easy if a had a scale with precise measurements. So my question is has anyone calculated the weight per unit of length of filament. I'm using 1.75mm PLA material. Slic3r tells you how many mm of filament will be used in the print so all I need to know is how much a mm of 1.75mm PLA weighs to calculate the cost.
Re: print cost
December 29, 2014 02:31PM
Sorry but if you are concerned about the cost that much then spend $15-$20 for a postal scale. Or measure how many meters of filament is on a roll and do the math.
December 29, 2014 04:06PM
You can try this, [www.ic3dprinters.com], not sure how well it works. Just did a quick Google Search.

Otherwise, I would probably just print something. Weigh it to find out how many grams it is, then divide that by the length of filament Slic3r claimed you would use. You should be able to use the gram weight to find out how much the print cost you in filament, then use Slic3r's estimate to convert that cost to a filament length.

Round up to account for waste before and after the print, as well as failed prints.
December 30, 2014 02:07AM
[prusaprinters.org]

find your print material volume, using your slice program.

enter your price of filament and it will tell you price per volume ( $30/kg PLA = 0.039000 $/cm3)

so if your slicing program tells you 5.8cm3 your price will be $ 0.2262

Volume and Mass is better to measure then length, as the density of material stays the same, but the width of the material varies...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 02:10AM by pushthatbolder.
December 30, 2014 05:16AM
My measurements of Faberdashery 1.75mm PLA:

Red - 312g/m
Buttercream - 3.08g/m
Blue - 3.06g/m

I made these measurements a couple of years ago along with empty spools so I could calculate how much was left on a spool at any time.

pushthatbolder
enter your price of filament and it will tell you price per volume ( $30/kg PLA = 0.039000 $/cm3).

That only works if the spool contained exactly the stated amount. Would you be able to tell if some unscrupulous vendor put 10% less on there than claimed?

Andy

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2014 05:24AM by ajayre.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login