Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Force certain parts to be solid

Posted by sungod3k 
Force certain parts to be solid
January 06, 2015 07:03PM
Hi,

Santa brought me a drill tap kit so I started using it successfully on my models. I usually have 3 perimeters but when I cut screws this is getting to thin. Im looking for a reliable way to increase wall thickness only in parts of the model.
I
Re: Force certain parts to be solid
January 06, 2015 09:08PM
Unless you manually edit the gcode it's not going to happen. The slicers as far as I know can only have 1 setting for the entire object.
January 07, 2015 01:34AM
I could put additional walls in the model surrounding the space i want thicker. It has to be closer than the layerwidth, but then the inside wont be interpreted as the inside anymore and I have to manually support the ceiling which sounds like a lot of work
January 07, 2015 02:38AM
Perhaps you could just add some very small holes in the model next to where you want it solid.
That would force the slicer to add perimeters there, making it more solid. If the holes are small enough you might not hardly notice them.

My printer: Raptosaur - Large Format Delta - [www.paulwanamaker.wordpress.com]
Can you answer questions about Calibration, Printing issues, Mechanics? Write it up and improve the Wiki!
January 08, 2015 03:01AM
Slic3r can apparently do it (I haven't tried it myself): [slic3r.org]
January 08, 2015 10:57AM
Paul Wanamaker
Perhaps you could just add some very small holes in the model next to where you want it solid.
That would force the slicer to add perimeters there, making it more solid. If the holes are small enough you might not hardly notice them.

I tap some parts, and I print them with the hole I'm going to tap as part of the model, appropriately sized to be a little smaller to take a thread.
January 08, 2015 11:49AM
What's the problem with adding a few extra perimeters for the whole part? I do realize it would use more filament and take more time, but the part would be overall stronger and you would be able to reliably tap the hole.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
January 08, 2015 01:23PM
I like Lenbok's find, I never new that was there.
That looks very promising, especially if you've designed the part yourself.
January 09, 2015 11:53AM
am not sure if this is any use for the discussion but it make an interesting read on modifier meshes with slic3r [www.gyrobot.co.uk] not tried it myself yet so cant say to much about it.
January 11, 2015 03:09PM
one trick i saw some time ago was to ad very small holes or slots to the print, around the spots where you want more material printed, the slicer would then go around them making that area much denser.

[mike-mack.blogspot.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login