Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printrun/Pronterface?

Posted by MindRealm 
Printrun/Pronterface?
January 11, 2015 09:47PM
Shouldn't there be a Printrun/Pronterface forum in the Software Folder here? I have a couple specific questions, but can't find a really suitable spot for them... tongue sticking out smiley

Anyway, here goes:

1 - Is there any way to tweak the estimated print duration in Pronterface for windows?
2 - Is there any way to add current/total layer number status (like Repetier Host) in Pronterface?
3 - How exactly does one make a macro work when assigning to a custom button in Pronterface?

Hmmm...

-David
Re: Printrun/Pronterface?
January 12, 2015 11:50AM
Hi! I think you're right about the different sections- I've had issues and had to post in general too which I'd rather not do. Anyway-

1. I don't think so and why? It's usually pretty close. You could always insert a 'wait' command after the print is done and that will add time but I'm not sure what you're trying to do.

2. It tells you what z height you're on which is easy for me I guess when I print at .1 height.... if you ever want to know a specific layer look at your z height then click on the grid and scroll to that height in the popup...It'll also say what layer that is. This is helpful for "wow layer ___ was weird" but doesn't really give you an up to date count. If you know python and are running it from source, showing the z value multiplied by layer height instead would be trivial so you could just do that.

3. I'm pretty sure there's just a plus button to add new buttons. Type in what you want the button to be called and enter the g code value for it to send. Useful ones are m114 (prints the current position) m80 and m81 (ps on/off) stuff like that.
January 12, 2015 12:47PM
Thanks SamS.

The problem with the estimated print duration is that my prints always take around 150% the estimated time. For example a for that says it will print in 2 hrs takes 3 hrs. No real problem, but bad data is not worth looking at. (Not a feature!)

It would just be convenient to know how many layers remain without having to calculate it myself. It would be easy in python, but I'm using windows executables, not running from python. Thus, there are no python files to edit...

I am aware of the custom buttons, and they work great for single G-code commands, but there is a macro tool that should allow multiple G-code commands to be passed, but it just dumps them all in the status window (i.e. Sending G0 X0 Y0 F5000), and only executes the first command. I'm sure this has something to do with the formatting of the macro file. I just need someone to provide an example of a macro file that works...

Thanks again for your response!

-David
January 12, 2015 05:19PM
I find the oposite true for cura in my system. If it says its going to take 2hours, it prints in 1.5 hours. But I think cura also estimates heat up time.

My Personal Blog. Build blog.
[engineerd3d.ddns.net]

Modicum V1 sold on e-bay user jaguarking11
January 13, 2015 02:11PM
It's not really possible to get a good estimate of print completion time from the layer count, because the amount of plastic in each layer can vary so much. In the web interface for Duet electronics, we found that the most accurate estimation is obtained by calculating the average filament consumption rate from the time and amount of filament used to print the last 5 layers (or all the printing up to now if fewer than 5 layers have been completed). Then use that along with the total filament needed for the print and the total filament used so far to calculate the time to get through the remaining filament. It typically gives an over-estimate of the total print time at first because of the lower first-layer print speed, then gets quite accurate by the time 6 layers have been completed. It gets the total filament requirement from the comment that slic3er and Cura put near the end of the gcode file.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
January 13, 2015 03:00PM
Not what I wanted to hear, but thanks smiling smiley

-David

Find me online at:
Thingiverse
Instructables.com
LinkedIn
Facebook

Check out my FolgerTech Prusa i3 (plexi) at MindRealm.net
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login