Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

carrying a reprap on board a plane

Posted by ekaggrat 
carrying a reprap on board a plane
January 15, 2015 04:52AM
i searched and could find a answer to this question. I want to take a disassembled mendelmax on a international flight in my luggage. Does it cause any trouble ( metal detectors / customs ) etc ? any experiences?
Re: carrying a reprap on board a plane
January 15, 2015 08:04AM
I think it depends on what country you're flying out of and into, what airports, which security person you get that day, carry on or checked, etc.

I suggest checking with your airline first and see what they say.
January 15, 2015 08:05AM
I assume you mean checked luggage... I know someone who did this in 2008 with a CNC machine US to UK - no problems at all.

You may have to declare it to customs and pay import fees, depending on the value, country, nature of your trip, etc, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 08:07AM by ajayre.
January 15, 2015 08:18AM
grog
I think it depends on what country you're flying out of and into, what airports, which security person you get that day, carry on or checked, etc.

I suggest checking with your airline first and see what they say.
This. And be sure to check for your flight there as well as for the flight back unless you're just taking it one way. For almost all the individual components, they won't care. Carrying some metal extrusion, plastic pieces, and motors isn't dangerous our questionable. A few specific components might be questionable when x-rayed though, such as a cartridge heater similarly shaped as a blasting cap.
January 15, 2015 11:07AM
Yes i mean check in luggage and asking such questions to a airlines raises suspision. Guess then i will just have to try. Worst case gift it to the customs or whoever objects it then .
January 15, 2015 11:16AM
You can read about Vik Olliver's experience taking a RepRap on an airplane here.
January 15, 2015 01:34PM
MattMoses
You can read about Vik Olliver's experience taking a RepRap on an airplane here.

Wow. That is really awful.

Blue Ice

blog at [contemporarymaker.com]
January 15, 2015 01:41PM
ekaggrat
Yes i mean check in luggage and asking such questions to a airlines raises suspision.
How does it raise suspicion? You walk up to the airline counter BEFORE the day of your flight, show them a picture of what you're trying to bring with you, and ask both your airline as well as TSA (or equivilent if you're not in the US) what is the best way to package it so that it doesn't have any problems with security and doesn't get damaged (even being disassembled). You're hardly the first person that wants to take something that's a little different than normal with them on a trip. From a security standpoint, they don't care a whole lot about stuff in checked baggage as long as it's not a prohibited item. So from a security standpoint, I don't think you'd have anything to worry about.

Depending on where you're leaving from, where you're going, and what stops might be along the way, you possibly could have import/export hassles. Check with the customs for both your home and destination to see if there is any particular paperwork that you need to fill out to document that it's personal property and not for permanent import and that you'll be returning with it. If you're in the US, CBP Form 4457 can document your property for avoiding having to pay an taxes/fees upon return, but it's not recognized in other countries. Other countries may have similar forms. If you're "importing" it into your destination as a "gift" then you might be able to avoid taxes on it. It may also just fly under the radar. I don't know how many things I've ordered from dx.com in China and they always seem to come labeled as a gift...

The biggest thing is probably what the real issue was in the post above. You have to package it well enough that it won't get damaged. Now being disassembled will help, but it's still subject to damage. Airline travel is tough on anything that is even remotely fragile or that will need to remain straight. If you want your rods to stay straight, rap them up inside a chunk of angle iron that provides the primary protection from bending. Alternatively, you might avoid a lot of hassles if you just ship it before hand to arrive before you leave. That way if you need to bring any parts to fix things that might have damaged turning transit you can pack them for the trip.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login