Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Macgyvering a thermistor for Rapman

Posted by ZaphodBeeblebrox 
Macgyvering a thermistor for Rapman
May 18, 2010 07:32PM
Hi, I am very close to finishing a Rapman I recently purchased. However, due to my failure at electronics, I have since ripped the legs off of two innocent 200k thermistors. I am now just as broke as the thermistors, in terms of cash. I don't have the coin to order any more from England. However, I have come up with some ways to hack the data the thermistor would provide, until I get paid in a month. I could...
1. Use a resistor to mimic the resistance that the thermistor would provide at room temperature. The problem I see with this is that the extruder would continue to heat up until it reached the desired temperature, which would be never, as indicated by the resistor. Something would give out.
2. Use a resistor to mimic the resistance that the thermistor would provide at plastic melting temperature. The problem I see with this is that the extruder would see itself already at full temperature, and warm up quite slowly, or not at all.
3. Use a potentiometer to dial in specific resistances. The problem I see with this is that it would require calibration which may affect the extruder.
4. Run it without any thermistor, just a wire between the two ports.

Which of these is the best option in terms of safety and practicality? Anyone willing to donate a 200k thermistor to a worthy cause?
Re: Macgyvering a thermistor for Rapman
May 18, 2010 08:02PM
can't you control the heater itself manually?

or

I'm thinking that you could use a SPDT switch, have the room temperature value resistor on one side, and the heated one on the other, and the common terminal to one side of the thermistor connectors on the board. BOTH resistor's leads will connect to the other terminal.

ask someone else if you need clarification.

or maybe me:

extruder------------------|------resistor 2
controller---------   resistor 1   |
                  |       |        |
                  |____ SPDT--------
May 18, 2010 11:10PM
You need a voltage proportional to a temperature of something.picture in next floor.the NO.4 picture is The table of the relationship between temperature and voltage.
another way is Alcohol thermometer diy.
Attachments:
open | download - 1.jpg (68.4 KB)
open | download - 2.jpg (77.2 KB)
open | download - 3.jpg (65.8 KB)
open | download - 4.jpg (96.3 KB)
May 18, 2010 11:11PM

May 19, 2010 02:56AM
With the transistor's PN junction to measure the temperature
This is an old way,The last century use of 70 to 80 years,the PN junction V_f-T characteristics.More than 100 degrees Celsius may not work.picture in next floor.
Attachments:
open | download - 2009226215654595.jpg (25.5 KB)
May 19, 2010 02:56AM

May 21, 2010 06:11AM
I am going to use the first schemat. For those of you with a printer involving a 200k thermistor, how much resistance does it give at full temperature? For those with a 100k, how much does yours read?
May 21, 2010 09:20PM
i used thermocouple sensor ,I did not get thermistor.hintss answer is correct.

for 4,i have a not good idae, you can let the program set a timer to determine the relationship between time and temperature curve.confused smiley
May 23, 2010 10:45PM
just to be clear, the common lead of the SPDT in my solution connected to the extruder controller.
May 24, 2010 05:56PM
Just thought of a good MacGyver solution: Pull the thermistor out of a remote-probe oven thermometer. You will have to determine resistance and Beta by experiment but it should be a reasonable replacement. Typically the pointed probe tube is crimped over the silicone-insulated cable. A sharp edged file should let you weaken the tube below the crimp and break it off.
May 24, 2010 10:26PM
or just break the cable
May 25, 2010 06:45AM
Well, I can't exactly reprogram the board, it being a Rapman and all.
May 25, 2010 10:42AM
ZaphodBeeblebrox,I think, you need learn the program.smiling bouncing smiley

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/2010 12:48PM by tuziluobo.
May 25, 2010 09:11PM
No, arduino programming is no sweat, but I don't want to screw with a preprogrammed board. I've had some bad experiences, invilving quite a lot of magical blue smoke.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login