Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Question HotEnd

Posted by Ikiwi 
Question HotEnd
January 28, 2015 04:56AM
Hi everybody,

I wanted to ask, for what exactly this littel fin on my metal hotend is?

Also i have noticed this fin on other Hotends. This makes them longer and heavier, but for me it is useless!
Is it just another mountsystem? If so for which printers?

bvn9p85h.jpg

Thank you!
Re: Question HotEnd
January 28, 2015 08:33AM
It's a quick punch-in connector. That allows you to insert a PTFE Tube deep inside the hotend. Usualy it's used for bowden extruders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2015 08:34AM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
January 28, 2015 09:18AM
Zavashier
It's a quick punch-in connector. That allows you to insert a PTFE Tube deep inside the hotend. Usualy it's used for bowden extruders.
If you look at the larger image, you'll see he has the smaller diameter cooling fin circled, not the push in connector.

I don't think it has a specific purpose other than being a smaller cooling fin. Some printers the hot end may need to pass through an X-carriage that has a hole about the size of the groovemount diameter and if it was the full diameter of the other fins, it wouldn't fit all the way up like a authentic j-head would. Many other metal hot ends may recreate it as many other metal hot ends are just cheap knockoffs of the E3D design.
January 28, 2015 06:52PM
Yeah this is just a cheap knock-off E3D v5 type design.

I designed that "fin" in there because I needed the extra small diameter length to ensure the hotend would protrude enough from the extruder to clear the carriage on which the extruder would probably be mounted before the fins got wider and might interfere with mounting. It just looked kind of dorky with being just a straight, un-finned shank. So I decided to put in the extra parting tool cuts, because why not. It's not as though you're going to get a meaningful amount of extra cooling from it, but it can't hurt, shaves off a few grams, and looks cooler.

That's the story of the "lucky fin" as we call it at E3D. Named after Nemo's little fin from the movie Finding Nemo.

I'm almost happy they copied it, it's kind of cute.
January 29, 2015 04:21AM
cdru
If you look at the larger image, you'll see he has the smaller diameter cooling fin circled, not the push in connector.
Oh, sorry ! That's why I dislike thumbnails pictures.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
February 03, 2015 04:45AM
Good to know, and yes this is just a China copy but still I must say it is very good for the price one have to pay.
Also we needed to check all Hotends winking smiley

We are currently working on a Hotend design of our own. And this fin simply did not make any sense at all for us winking smiley

Thank you all and we will be on Indiegogo this summer with our commitment to the open source community!
February 03, 2015 07:04AM
Good it's cleared up, just wanted to say, if you are serious about designing a hotend, maybe you shouldn't bother with looking at cheap copies. They often have very wrong properties, where the original hotends have a way better finishing and the materials differ from time to time.

You have these Jhead clones with aluminium heater blocks instead of nice brass ones which introduces completely different mechanics. Also be aware that you can have stainless steel in a lot of different variations. All alloys behave differently and the successful hotends usually have had a lot of tryouts to see which one worked best.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 03, 2015 09:22AM
Thank you Ohmarinus,

Yes I know that heating blocks should be made out of the right materials, still we decided to use alloy blocks. Let me explain why:

Aluminiumlegierungen 75…235 W/(MK)
(Brass) Messing 120 W/(MK)

We have used a material that can provide us with 180 W/(MK) which is very good. Although because of the small distance the heat has to travel, it makes nearly no big difference. Also yes we have printed already with our Hotends a lot and we know what we are doing. Now it is only important to take what we have learned from our specialized printers and make it available for everybody winking smiley

If you have any other concerns regarding our Hotends, please let us know. I love to discuss this topic and am always thankful for advice.

Sincerely
Ikiwi
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login