Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Stratasys falling off a cliff

Posted by vreihen 
Stratasys falling off a cliff
February 02, 2015 06:25PM
According to Stratasys' quarterly shareholder report today, MakerBot under-performed. As a result, the stock price of SSYS is down almost 27% at the moment:

From Barrons:

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2015/02/02/stratasys-plunges-22-q4-15-view-miss-on-makerbot-steps-up-spending/

Stratasys said it will take a one-time non-cash impairment charge to the goodwill value of MakerBot. Commenting on the MakerBot troubles, it said,

Stratasys projects preliminary fourth quarter revenue growth of approximately 38% over the same period last year, including organic revenue growth of 25%. However, the fourth quarter was impacted by slower growth of MakerBot product and services revenue during the period. MakerBot revenue is estimated to have grown by approximately 7% in the fourth quarter over the prior year, and is estimated to represent approximately 12% of preliminary total Stratasys revenue for the fourth quarter. Throughout 2014, MakerBot invested significantly in the introduction of its 5th Generation Replicator 3D printers and 3D printing ecosystem, and in the development of a multi-tier distribution strategy enabling broader distribution. These continuing investments are intended to provide MakerBot with the ability to further scale and build superior product platforms positioned for long-term growth, as the adoption of 3D printing expands. However, during the fourth quarter, MakerBot was affected by challenges associated with the introduction and scaling of its new product platform and the Company’s rapidly evolving distribution model.

I nearly spit water all over my screen when I read "goodwill value of MakerBot" above.....
Re: Stratasys falling off a cliff
February 04, 2015 09:47AM
I think the fall has finished leveling out. But man, an immediate 25% loss is an ugly thing when you put it on a graph.

Let's all avoid gloating over Makerbot's downfall and hope that they see what it is that suddenly caused their "goodwill value" to evaporate the way it did and that they work to correct it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 09:47AM by Feign.
February 04, 2015 04:42PM
Feign
I think the fall has finished leveling out. But man, an immediate 25% loss is an ugly thing when you put it on a graph.

Let's all avoid gloating over Makerbot's downfall and hope that they see what it is that suddenly caused their "goodwill value" to evaporate the way it did and that they work to correct it.

I wouldn't exactly call a 7% increase the downfall of a company...
February 05, 2015 12:38PM
What a beautiful graph. Wonder what sparked the downturn?
February 05, 2015 01:11PM
cpus
Yeah, I should have put quotation marks and an eyeroll emote next to "downfall". Though I haven't been paying all that much attention, are you saying they bounced back to a 7% increase later, or that they are at a net 7% increase since buying Makerbot?
February 05, 2015 03:42PM
Their revenues are up 60% year over year, so Stratasys isn't hurting that bad.

I'm not sure how their FDM line of business is supposed to grow though. I feel like Fortus is going to get squeezed pretty hard since the incremental quality and reliability no longer justifies a six figure pricetag.

I'm also not sure if they can make much headway at the consumer level. Makerbot has an extremely bad reputation and repairing that will pretty much require a complete restart and rebranding.

I think that's what people are worrying about, and the fact that makerbot had to take a writedown just reinforced those fears.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2015 03:43PM by 691175002.
February 05, 2015 06:00PM
Feign
cpus
Yeah, I should have put quotation marks and an eyeroll emote next to "downfall". Though I haven't been paying all that much attention, are you saying they bounced back to a 7% increase later, or that they are at a net 7% increase since buying Makerbot?

7% increase in revenue for Makerbot since q4 2013, I think thats what the article is saying.
February 06, 2015 11:27AM
cpus
7% increase in revenue for Makerbot since q4 2013, I think thats what the article is saying.
Oh, now I get what you're saying. The thing is, revenue isn't the same as profit. They were projecting over 40% growth in revenue for that time period in their reports to their stockholders... Meaning they were spending money in accordance with those projections. That is, if they honestly believed those reports and didn't just put them out there to create a bubble in the stock. (which is currently the subject of a class-action lawsuit by their investors)

But instead of ~40% growth hey ended up actually having 7% growth... That is bad.

I'm not saying Makerbot as a whole is in imminent danger, but there are at least a few people having a resume printing party over there right about now. That, or packing for Mexico after selling their stock during the bubble, the end result is the same for Makerbot as a company.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 11:28AM by Feign.
February 06, 2015 05:16PM
Feign
cpus
Oh, now I get what you're saying. The thing is, revenue isn't the same as profit. They were projecting over 40% growth in revenue for that time period in their reports to their stockholders... Meaning they were spending money in accordance with those projections. That is, if they honestly believed those reports and didn't just put them out there to create a bubble in the stock. (which is currently the subject of a class-action lawsuit by their investors)

But instead of ~40% growth hey ended up actually having 7% growth... That is bad.

I'm not saying Makerbot as a whole is in imminent danger, but there are at least a few people having a resume printing party over there right about now. That, or packing for Mexico after selling their stock during the bubble, the end result is the same for Makerbot as a company.

Yes I understand what revenue is. But growth is still growth, even if it less than projected.
February 08, 2015 07:28PM
Here come the lawyers.....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/robbins-geller-rudman-dowd-llp-234900785.html

Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP Files Class Action Suit Against Stratasys Ltd.

SAN DIEGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP (“Robbins Geller”) (http://www.rgrdlaw.com/cases/stratasys/) today announced that a class action has been commenced in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota on behalf of purchasers of Stratasys Ltd. (“Stratasys”) (SSYS) common stock during the period between May 9, 2014 and February 2, 2015 (the “Class Period”).

If you wish to serve as lead plaintiff, you must move the Court no later than 60 days from today. If you wish to discuss this action or have any questions concerning this notice or your rights or interests, please contact plaintiff’s counsel, Darren Robbins of Robbins Geller at 800-449-4900 or 619-231-1058, or via e-mail at djr@rgrdlaw.com. If you are a member of this class, you can view a copy of the complaint as filed or join this class action online at [www.rgrdlaw.com]. Any member of the putative class may move the Court to serve as lead plaintiff through counsel of their choice, or may choose to do nothing and remain an absent class member.

The complaint charges Stratasys and certain of its officers with violations of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. Stratasys manufactures three-dimensional printers and describes itself as a leading global provider of additive manufacturing solutions. The Company’s products are used by designers, engineers, and manufacturers to visualize, verify, and communicate product designs.

The complaint alleges that during the Class Period, defendants issued false and misleading statements and/or failed to disclose adverse facts about the Company’s business and future prospects. Specifically, during the Class Period defendants repeatedly issued positive statements regarding the Company’s recently acquired subsidiary MakerBot and its products and significantly raised the Company’s 2014 financial guidance. As a result of these false and misleading statements and omissions, Stratasys stock traded at artificially inflated prices throughout the Class Period, reaching a high of $129.28 in September 2014 and allowing the Company to complete two stock offerings which netted the selling shareholders more than $230 million.

Then, on February 2, 2015, Stratasys announced that its fourth quarter fiscal 2014 revenue would miss analysts’ expectations, largely based on problems with its MakerBot subsidiary. The Company also revealed that it was taking a $100 million to $110 million impairment charge to the goodwill value of the recently acquired MakerBot subsidiary, pointing to slower growth of MakerBot products and services revenue. Stratasys also announced that revenue for the full year 2014 would be between $748 million and $750 million, lower than the $764 million analysts had been modeling and below prior guidance of $750 million to $770 million. For 2015, the Company announced that it expected revenues of $940 million to $960 million, also short of market expectations of $1 billion. The reduced forecast implied slower organic growth.

On this news of the Company’s unexpected earnings miss, weak forecast, impairment charge, and newly revealed problems with MakerBot, the price of Stratasys common stock dropped. After closing at $80.08 per share on February 2, 2015, the stock opened trading at $57.00 per share on February 3, 2015, ultimately falling $22.72 per share – or 28% – to close at $57.36 per share as numerous analysts downgraded their ratings of Stratasys stock.

Plaintiff seeks to recover damages on behalf of all purchasers of Stratasys common stock during the Class Period (the “Class”). The plaintiff is represented by Robbins Geller, which has expertise in prosecuting investor class actions and extensive experience in actions involving financial fraud.

Robbins Geller, with 200 lawyers in ten offices, represents U.S. and international institutional investors in contingency-based securities and corporate litigation. The firm has obtained many of the largest securities class action recoveries in history, including the largest securities class action judgment. Please visit [www.rgrdlaw.com] for more information.

Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP
Darren Robbins, 800-449-4900 or 619-231-1058
[email protected]
February 08, 2015 11:03PM
I've said it before and I will say it again. The companies in this industry have no idea how to grow this, if they had they, would have done it years ago.

WWW.ZATOPA.COM - Your Place for high quality 3D Printing Filament and accessories
February 09, 2015 01:29AM
vreihen
According to Stratasys' quarterly shareholder report today, MakerBot under-performed. As a result, the stock price of SSYS is down almost 27% at the moment:

Wowee! I'm interested in hearing about what MakerBot does next, now that they've figured out that something is very wrong with their company. By the way, the stock rose a bit over the past couple days, but the drop is still rather large.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2015 01:30AM by Blue Ice.

Blue Ice

blog at [contemporarymaker.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login