Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Makershape, your 3D printing community

Posted by Makershape 
Makershape, your 3D printing community
February 03, 2015 08:03PM
Dear RepRap members,

I'm the sole founder of Makershape and i would like to share with you a few details about this project.

Makershape is a new 3D printing community, a free space to help artists and crafters share their creations online.

I've always been passionate about technology and i strongly believe in this industrial revolution, which evolves greatly everyday and has yet to show its true potential.
One year ago i joined a few 3D communities and i didn't like the graphic, UI design and overall usability. I wanted to create something more simple and easier to use.

Share, print, connect. Made simple.

I've just launched the Beta program to test the core features and it will be limited to a certain number of members.
Someone asked 'Why should i join Makershape?' and i would like to highlight these points:

1- Makershape wasn't created by a manufacturer but someone like you loving innovation, freedom, artists and makers.
2- Better design and usability
3- Easier. only STL Files compatible with all printers
4- Models are shared ONLY free
5- Makershape will never steal and patent people designs (like some companies do).
6- This community will really care about users privacy. It doesn't require public informations and won't sell their data
7- This is only the beginning but i'll need your help to make it a solid reality

If you wish to join Makershape Beta, please apply at www.makershape.com
You can also contribute by liking our page at www.facebook.com/makershape

We still have to develope lots of features but now it's the right time to test the software platform and i would love to hear from you to shape it better.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions at founder@makershape.com

Regards,
Giovan Battista Lischetti
CEO
Makershape Ltd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2015 08:49PM by Makershape.
Re: Makershape, your 3D printing community
February 04, 2015 04:09AM
Ah, good you're here. Now I can use this moment to ask you a question smiling smiley

I'm having a strange thing going on, because I have my personal portfolio website and somehow I received an invitation from your website to become a member without ever having used that email address. There are only three people who have used this email address so I am confused how it's possible that I receive 'spam' from your website?

Did you personally invite me through the email link on my website or did you use spambot software to 'crawl' and read metadata to find interesting email addresses to invite?

I've used a script to mask my email address for bots so I was quite surprised to find this email in my inbox a few days ago. I started receiving spam since I had been emailing with a teacher of mine because he had some questions about 3D printing. He uses a hotmail account so maybe his account is compromised. Really curious to know how I got the invite.

Your story sounds good, but I miss the part I care about most: LICENSING?

Could you expand on these two topics?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 04:09AM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 04, 2015 05:07AM
Doesn't this post belong in the "Object Repositories" section, along with the other gazillion dreamers trying to become the next Thingiverse?????
February 04, 2015 06:27AM
Makershape
Makershape is a new 3D printing community, a free space to help artists and crafters share their creations online.

RepRap is a 3D printing community existing for years already, a free space to help artists and crafters share their creations online.

Makershape
I've always been passionate about technology and i strongly believe in this industrial revolution, which evolves greatly everyday and has yet to show its true potential.

We've always been passionate about technology and we strongly believe in this industrial revolution, which evolves greatly everyday and has yet to show its true potential.

Makershape
One year ago i joined a few 3D communities and i didn't like the graphic, UI design and overall usability. I wanted to create something more simple and easier to use.

One year ago we looked at our 3D community and we didn't like the graphic, UI design and overall usability. We wanted to create something more simple and easier to use.

Makershape
1- Makershape wasn't created by a manufacturer but someone like you loving innovation, freedom, artists and makers.
[...]
CEO
Makershape Ltd

Ah. Not a manufacturer, but a commercial entity. That's the reason you believe to be more successful? By being unfree, by asking for money? Good luck.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 04, 2015 07:36AM
Hi Ohmarinus and nice to make your acquaintance!

As you already stated, you have taken measures against bots and i can assure you're not the only one hating spam.
I do care about privacy and i saw lot of people trying everything to keep their email contacts safe.

You were invited after lots of 'human' web surfing and hard work smiling smiley
I was really surprised by people creativity and their use of 3D printing in more ways than i could ever imagine. That's why whenever i saw something interesting i've taken notes of these addresses, it wasn't a spambot...people have also expressed lots of creativity even writing down addresses!

That's why i thought about giving chance to use two email addresses for Makershape:

You need one for registration, but you are not forced to use it for the public profile. You can use a different email address for that (but you are not required doing that) AND public email addresses are visible only to other members.

I'm trying everything to protect the community privacy (and i hate companies stealing user informations and/or using them to make money).

ABOUT LICENSING
This is a very important part and i would really like to be clear about Makershape TEMPORARY terms and conditions.

I had very limited money resources but i needed to use some sort of legal terms. So i also had to find a way for satisfying legal needs...
I didn't really like all these confusing creative commons options. As i said, i want Makershape to be as easier as possible, letting users skip concerns about their creations.

I would like to change that in future and make it more clear: users will totally keep all rights on their creations and Makershape won't ever patent anything.
Please, try to understand: law firm services cost are very high and i'm already having hard times with expenses. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 07:45AM by Makershape.
February 04, 2015 07:55AM
Dear Vreihen,

i'm really sorry if i made you upset by making a post here about Makershape.
I haven't checked that section of the forums in past and i thought the general section would have been good.

Please, let me also say one thing: the first spark giving birth to Makershape was my frustration as a user and web designer/developer.
I wanted to create something better, faster, easier. Thinking like a user.
February 04, 2015 08:13AM
Traumflug

Makershape
[...]
CEO
Makershape Ltd

Ah. Not a manufacturer, but a commercial entity. That's the reason you believe to be more successful? By being unfree, by asking for money? Good luck.

Dear Traumflug,

i know it can look like the usual commercial stuff but i would like you to consider these things, at least grant me 1 minute of your attention to the following points:

1- the uk company data is open to the public, you can type my name on the net and get all informations about it (or about me)
2- i needed a commercial entity to start this website, protect material, legal stuff, etc
3- before doing Makershape, i could have continued my usual work and buy my first car. Now I used all the money i had and i don't even know about Makershape future in a year or so. It will all depend on you, the users.
4- I would invest any money i get, just to improve the company, delivering better features and service...a better Makershape. I don't care about living rich. Some people live for passion, my passion is computer technology. Give me a real workstation with a gtx Titan inside and i would die for the happiness. smiling smiley
5- I actually did all web design, development and art direction. I payed a friend/working partner to create some of the artworks needed under my supervision.

Sometimes business people asked me how they should call me before my name, i tell them "just Mr., if you wish"
February 04, 2015 10:26AM
Makershape
3- before doing Makershape, i could have continued my usual work and buy my first car. Now I used all the money i had and i don't even know about Makershape future in a year or so. It will all depend on you, the users.

Seriously, I have no idea how one can imagine to make a living by competing with already existing free services and communities.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 04, 2015 10:44AM
Traumflug
Makershape

Seriously, I have no idea how one can imagine to make a living by competing with already existing free services and communities.

Hi Traumflug,

I always lived working as a digital designer in a small office. As i said, this project was born from love for innovation, freedom, artists and makers.
One year ago I just wanted to create something i love from A to Z, something i could be proud of and made for people.

If you look at the incredible things created by the makers, you wouldn't think it's so strange.
Isn't this also the spirit of the Makers movement? smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 10:47AM by Makershape.
February 04, 2015 11:28AM
The "spirit of the Makers movement" is different things to different people... For some it's "innovation for its own sake", for others "small business opportunity", and for others it's "free stuff". Now granted, for the free stuff segment, it's from idealism rather than neediness (dreaming of a world without money and such). In any case, what it boils down to is some people believe profit to be mutually exclusive with the spirit of the Maker community and to try to act otherwise is dishonest.

Around here there is regretfully a lot of that sentiment, so you'll automatically have an uphill battle gaining trust with CEO in your signature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 11:29AM by Feign.
February 04, 2015 11:48AM
Feign
The "spirit of the Makers movement" is different things to different people... For some it's "innovation for its own sake", for others "small business opportunity", and for others it's "free stuff". Now granted, for the free stuff segment, it's from idealism rather than neediness (dreaming of a world without money and such). In any case, what it boils down to is some people believe profit to be mutually exclusive with the spirit of the Maker community and to try to act otherwise is dishonest.

Around here there is regretfully a lot of that sentiment, so you'll automatically have an uphill battle gaining trust with CEO in your signature.

Dear Feign,

I don't want to sound like the perfect guy (my girlfriend wouldn't totally agree with that!), but i agree with the innovation and free stuff.

Last year, i really liked the 'Zeitgeist: Addendum' movie and, although reality is very bad most of the times, there are many people working everyday to make a better world. I also love to think about humanity in future evolving like in Star Trek, but i'm sure it won't be ever like that.

I'm not an 'experienced entrepreneur' and i don't have a degree in business economics, i didn't even like to put CEO in my signature (CEO of what? lol) but i'll need to use a title when i write/answer to people to let them know who are they talking to, don't you agree?

Thank you for posting and taking the time to read this thread,

Giovan Battista

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 11:49AM by Makershape.
February 04, 2015 12:29PM
I'll just check it out, we'll see what happens. Let's give this a chance at least! smiling smiley Good luck with your initiative Giovan!

Good it's cleared up, I was afraid that spambots had found a way around my blocking method, which, by the way, probably doesn't work well enough as I'm receiving a lot of spam since last week... sad smiley

Edit: Found out my CMS software converted the unicode automatically to text.. So my email address was never protected... Now I'm stuck up with spam every day probably for the rest of my life.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 12:40PM by Ohmarinus.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
February 04, 2015 05:30PM
Sorry, but I'm not putting in personal info to simply view a website.....good luck.
February 04, 2015 05:55PM
dclarkm
Sorry, but I'm not putting in personal info to simply view a website.....good luck.

Hi DClarkm,

please, allow me one minute of your time to underline just 2 points:

1- you need only to choose username, password and insert one email address for registration. This email address won't appear on your public profile (unless you do so) and it will be enough to access to all the website services.
2- i thought about this system because i really care about privacy and some people like doesn't want to lose time with tons of data entries.

You don't have to put any of your personal info, that's one of the coolest things about Makershape! smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2015 06:23PM by Makershape.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login