Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Map of schools using 3D printers

Posted by BryanKerr 
Map of schools using 3D printers
February 12, 2015 01:58AM
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to research how many schools are using 3D printers, and I've created a Google map to visualize the data for an ed tech talk I'm giving in March. If you're using a 3D printer in a K-12 school, please fill out this short form to add your school to the map, or forward it to someone who does.

http://www.makerspace.gardenstreetacademy.org/map-schools-using-3d-printers/

Thanks for your help!
Re: Map of schools using 3D printers
February 12, 2015 04:05AM
Thanks..

Ill just grab my crow bar and start looting...

Ie what a darn silly idea. Why make it easy for the theives?
February 12, 2015 07:06AM
Dust
Ill just grab my crow bar and start looting...

Ie what a darn silly idea. Why make it easy for the theives?

True story. A nearby small newspaper in the USA requested names/addresses of every pistol permit holder in a 3-county area, and overlayed the info on a Google map so that you could see if your neighbors had guns. NY State had to rush a law into place that exempted pistol permit info from government record sunshine laws, because it made it easier for thieves to break into houses and steal the legally-licensed guns.....
February 12, 2015 12:01PM
Fair points you two bring up, but aren't there a few important differences?

1) The NY case isn't exactly equivalent. The newspaper map led directly to the exact places where the gun was located--a single dwelling. Placing a pin at a school does not narrow down the location to a specific classroom.

2) There's lots press in the news about schools using 3D printers. The information isn't exactly hard to find, and the press actually helps the schools. I can understand why gun owners don't want to be easily identified.

3) Most schools have a computer labs and other technology in a central location that far exceed the value of one or two 3D printers, and I'd say that's common knowledge. Does the fact that 3D printers exist at a given school significantly raise the risk of theft there?

4) The gun owners weren't voluntarily adding themselves to the map.

I appreciate the feedback.
February 12, 2015 02:35PM
nm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2015 02:39PM by rmlrn.
February 13, 2015 05:09AM
Its not paranoia when they are watching...

It brings to my mind the story of someone who posted a picture of a big wad of cash on their social media account. I suspect the camera added gps co-ordinates or something like that..

They where robbed within hours.

[www.geeky-gadgets.com]

Be careful what you put on line.
February 14, 2015 01:45PM
Why not do the opposite and make a map of schools that do NOT have a 3d printer, so that parents can put pressure on them and printer dealers can target them for selling? on the other hand, why not just not waste time on this and try to raise funds for your local school instead?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login