Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bulldog XL Spares

Posted by grezmel 
Bulldog XL Spares
February 17, 2015 07:20AM
HI All,

Please can anyone advise if you can purchase spares for a Bulldog XL
The threaded holes (as per attached pic) have worn out and would just like to purchase a replacement metal block if possible.

thanks in advance Graham
Attachments:
open | download - Bulldog.jpg (87.4 KB)
Re: Bulldog XL Spares
February 17, 2015 07:33AM
If you have tools you could just redrill and tap the holes for larger screws. It's only aluminum- in some respects it's easier to work that wood. Otherwise, I'd go right to the source- reprapdiscount.com

You must have put some serious torque on the screws!

Have you had a need to take the extruder apart frequently? I ask because I have a BullDog XL and been using it for the last two months and it has been 100% reliable so far. I've been using it to push 1.75mm filament...

The mounting holes in the foot for bolting the extruder to the carriage were a little small for my taste, but I found that I could tap them with a 6-32 tap without drilling them out. The threads are a little shallow, so if they ever strip I'll drill them and tap for #8 or #10 screws. It's very nice to just turn two screws to release the extruder from the carriage!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2015 07:43AM by the_digital_dentist.
February 17, 2015 07:39AM
the_digital_dentist
I'd go right to the source- reprapdiscount.com

You must have put some serious torque on the screws!

Have you had a need to take the extruder apart frequently? I ask because I have a BullDog XL and been using it for the last two months and it has been 100% reliable so far. I've been using it to push 1.75mm filament...

The extruder ran faultless for months, but I then kept encountering nozzle jams out of the blue and ive had to remove the hot end several times recently.
February 17, 2015 07:44AM
Which hot-end, what size and type of filament?
February 17, 2015 07:47AM
My only complaint about the BullDog XL is the hand strength required to compress the pinchwheel springs to change filament. I have relatively strong hands (I extract a lot of teeth) but I have a hard time squeezing those springs without first loosening the tension on them with a wrench. I think I'm going to design a tool for it to get some leverage.
February 17, 2015 07:47AM
the_digital_dentist
Which hot-end, what size and type of filament?

Im using 3mm with a hexagon hot end now, but was using a standard J-Head set up.
February 18, 2015 08:20AM
the_digital_dentist
My only complaint about the BullDog XL is the hand strength required to compress the pinchwheel springs to change filament. I have relatively strong hands (I extract a lot of teeth) but I have a hard time squeezing those springs without first loosening the tension on them with a wrench. I think I'm going to design a tool for it to get some leverage.

Hi, that's by design. You're supposed to loosen the screws before removing the filament, then retighten.

Comically mine died this morning, I'm going to pull it apart tonight and see what's going on. I've never taken it apart before. Good little unit usually.
February 18, 2015 09:39AM
Is there some documentation in it that I don't have? I literally don't have ANY documentation on it except for the 1 page sheet I downloaded from RRD that says the motor current should be set to 0.6A.

UkIan
the_digital_dentist

Hi, that's by design. You're supposed to loosen the screws before removing the filament, then retighten.

Comically mine died this morning, I'm going to pull it apart tonight and see what's going on. I've never taken it apart before. Good little unit usually.
February 18, 2015 03:39PM
the_digital_dentist
Is there some documentation in it that I don't have? I literally don't have ANY documentation on it except for the 1 page sheet I downloaded from RRD that says the motor current should be set to 0.6A.

Nope, I watched a video possibly the original indigogo one when I got mine as it had no documentation, and that's where they explained what the nuts are for. You're slightly better informed than me here as I think mine is set waaay above 0.6A, so I didn't get that memo smiling smiley

Mine has come back to life. Turned out to be a faulty stepper motor driver. Last non silent one on the board, so I think it committed suicide :/

Bit of a relief actually as I took the bulldog apart and I think it might be tricky to replace the stepper motor. The shaft appears to be custom made with the gear box drive gear as part of it. The stepper is slightly shorter than any of the shortest steppers I've got laying around, so not sure what's going on there.
April 11, 2015 06:59AM
Hi! i have problems with the motor of my bulldog xl, do you know where i can buy another one? (the motor only)
thanks
April 11, 2015 11:54AM
The Bulldog uses a standard NEMA 17 motor.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
April 13, 2015 06:29PM
Any opinions on the XL vs the lite version? Does the gearbox provide any advantage for pushing 1.75mm through a bowden?
April 14, 2015 05:16AM
The XL just has more torque. If you need that get the XL, if not the lite.
For long bowden setups the XL might be the better choice, but i think for 1.75mm Filament you can always use the lite.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 10, 2015 05:58AM
Srek
The Bulldog uses a standard NEMA 17 motor.

Well.. the NEMA shaft has the center planetary gear in it. And to me it looks like it´s not removable.. is it?
May 10, 2015 06:19AM
I checked with my Bulldog, the motor and axis are standard, but the axis was machined to accept a small diameter gear. You can't replace the motor without machining the axis and switching the gear, which could be difficult given the small size.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
May 10, 2015 11:33AM
Back to the OP's question, I had a similar issue, I was very much not happy with how the hot end was held on by the 2 different sized threaded holes. The smaller one went first, when it did I prolonged it by using a longer screw but that eventually went as well, then I was relying on the larger diameter bolt alone when, it also stripped! I was mad, but it is a crappy design which sucks as the rest of the bulldog xl is amazing except for having to bolt and unbolt the entire thing in order to work on it (clear shredded filament or take off hot end). Anyway for the hotend, after I stripped both bolts I took a generic E3D, cut the top off of it so all I had was about 5 fins of the heatsink and it was threaded all the way through and added not one but 2 of the M6 x 30mm nozzle throat one on top of the other. Here is a couple pictures so you understand:

sorry they are blurry, but I hope you get the picture. The only available way to mount the hotend left was the M6 thread for the throat. Since then I have bought 10 spare throats, some m6 nuts, some ptfe liner and three 6mm taps so I can go on using this configuration for a long time. The other thing I did before this was to add a picatinny rail quick release mount in order to make it one simple thing to remove and install the extruder. I have put it on thingiverse for any who want to download it:

bulldog picatinny mount

I hope this helps. ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login