Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gear motors + shaft encoder vs stepping motors

Posted by RussNelson 
Gear motors + shaft encoder vs stepping motors
August 31, 2007 11:14AM
Seems to me that gear motors plus a shaft encoder could produce a much higher slew rate than stepping motors driving screws. The question that I have is whether a PIC or Arduino (Atmel or similar low-speed processor e.g. msp430) could keep up with the optical interruption rate necessary for high resolution? Has anybody tried that?

The nice thing about stepping motors is that if you stay within their torque limits, you don't need any positional feedback other than a zero point. The bad thing is that you can't drive them beyond a certain speed because their torque flatlines.
Re: Gear motors + shaft encoder vs stepping motors
August 31, 2007 12:02PM
Yes you can easily keep track of the pulses from a 204 line shaft encoder (816 steps) on a GM3 gearmotor with an MSP430 at 12MHz. I will post the code and details on my blog this weekend.

You should also take a look at Forrest Higgs' blog at [reprap.win.aplus.net]

[www.hydraraptor.blogspot.com]
August 31, 2007 05:48PM
Anonymous User
September 01, 2007 01:28AM
Search the web, and you will find descriptions of devices that use microcontrollers to synthesize a full-resolution color video signal on-the-fly. I don't think that such a device would have much trouble keeping up with a spinning axle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login