Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Meikian Live, a GNU/Linux live distribution for makers

Posted by xoan 
Meikian Live, a GNU/Linux live distribution for makers
February 23, 2015 04:34AM
Hi all!

I'm one of the contributors and beta tester of a one year old project that aims to build a free and open source GNU/Linux live distribution intended to cover the RepRap/CNC/Electronic needs in a full featured an pre-configured workbench.

The current stable version is based on Debian GNU/Linux «Wheezy», and there are plans to make a «Jessie» release when it comes to stable. It features a simple desktop environment using XFCE.

http://reprap.org/wiki/Meikian_Live

It includes most of the free and open source software, firmware, and bookmarks to the RepRap Wiki and other resources to have an out-of-the-box working environment right in your USB or CD to run in almost any kind of computer.

The main developer is Carlos Temes (@ctemes), and the project is almost an only one-man development, so basically we need more testing, actually more hardware test-cases (UEFI, Real Time systems, and so on) to make the system as compatible and bug-free as possible.

Documentation lives at http://docs.meikian.eu/en/latest/ and all the code to make the live system creation is in GitHub: https://github.com/ctemescw/meikian-dev (issues is used as the main bug tracker system)

So, if you want to contribute the project, you only have to download the image file, burn it on a removable filesystem and trying it! smiling smiley
Re: Meikian Live, a GNU/Linux live distribution for makers
February 23, 2015 07:55AM
Thanks for this nice contribution.

Is there some "fallout" in form of a Debian wrapper-package for those who run Ubuntu or Debian already? Like "sudo apt-get install reprap" to get all of them?

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

February 23, 2015 11:36AM
Hi!

My name is Carlos and I'm the main developer/coordinator for the Meikian project.

At this moment the packages are only tested on Meikian (based on Debian Wheezy). Most of them may work directly on a Debian Wheezy standard installation without any problems, although some of it may depend on configuration files or directory structures created within Meikian.

Sorry, but there is no automatic way to install all the packages at once on a distinct distro than Meikian.

Please excuse my poor English.
May 02, 2015 02:56PM
Meikian 1.1 is out: [groups.google.com] (release announce in spanish mailing list).

It is a maintenance release. The full changelog can be found in the documentation version history: [meikian-live.readthedocs.org]

The next release will use Debian «Jessie» as the base system, and will come with lot of upgrades in the main packages: FreeCAD, OpenSCAD, Arduino, etc...

Greetings.
December 01, 2015 06:59PM
Here we go! Meikian Live v8.0 (2015.12.01), based on Debian 8 «Jessie», with installer and a lot of application upgrades.

You can download the image file and md5 checksum from GPUL servers:
December 01, 2015 08:44PM
How does this compare to MachineKit?
December 01, 2015 09:16PM
I don't know much about MachineKit...

Meikian is a GNU/Linux live (and now also installable) distribution intended for minimal hardware requirements, and with most of the software used in the «maker» ecosystem (from educational programming or electronics development and manufacturing to 2D/3D graphics design and printing) already installed and configured. LinuxCNC is integrated for RT machine control (but I don't use it)

It can also be used in some other scenarios, like in schools, workshops, demostrations, etc.

It is like a «ready-to-use» system for the RepRap community smiling smiley
February 02, 2017 06:49AM
hello
download link to meikian-live_8.0.iso does not work.
is there any alternative mirror download link
February 02, 2017 08:15AM
Untested, but you can probably build your own iso from the source code by running that script : [github.com]

You need a linux machine.

Most of my technical comments should be correct, but is THIS one ?
Anyway, as a rule of thumb, always double check what people write.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login