Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone have experience of hk.bay and their kossel?

Anyone have experience of hk.bay and their kossel?
March 04, 2015 05:26PM
I am looking to try to make my first 3d printer.
After a few days of looking around, the mini Kossel from hkbay.com appears to be a good option:
[www.hkbay.com]

I am a little concerned though because the printer is low cost (too good to be true?) and I can not find any information about hkbay anywhere.

Have people dealt with this company before? Are they reputable?

Also, is their mini Kossel a good first printer?
Are there any shortcomings with their version, and if so, where?

Thanks.
Re: Anyone have experience of hk.bay and their kossel?
March 04, 2015 06:30PM
Based in Hong Kong, in the title there is some German... Hmm, looks fishy to me. But the printer kit looks really good... Too good to be true?

Their 'about us' page seems honest though:
[www.hkbay.com]

Good prices. I would wait for people who have actual experience with them.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
March 05, 2015 05:44PM
From the lack of replies I feel I must be cautious.

Another low cost printer:
[www.3dprintersonlinestore.com]

Again, the same questions: Has anyone any experience of these printers, and what are their shortfalls?
June 14, 2015 04:03PM
Im also intrested of XL Rostock Kossel and only hkbay seems to be selling them but lack of reviews have made me cautious.
June 15, 2015 11:35AM
Guys, use some logic.

Anything low cost you will certainly find lacking in some ways because they must cut corners to save money. Thet also buy in bulk and employ slave labor to produce it. Average chinese factory worker earns less in a day than a cup of Starbucks mocha frapawhateva.

You will likely be frustrated by the whole experience of lack of support, docs, replacement parts, etc. Is that frustration worth the saving of a few dollars?
September 19, 2015 03:33AM
Hi, I'm new to this forum but I saw this post and thought I needed to reply.
I personally know the folks behind this website; I am the main instructor of the 3D Printing Academy in Hong Kong (https://www.facebook.com/groups/3dpahk) and we use their two Deltas for our workshops. The printers have an excellent price/quality ratio and are a good choice for beginners as you can start low cost and can scale up once you get more comfortable with 3D printing.
Are there better printers out there? I am sure, but probably not for this price.
What also sets these printers apart from other Delta's is their implementation of Rich Cattels Autocalibration routine (not to be confused with Autolevel!), which makes the calibration process much smoother and simpler than on other Deltas.
The owner of the website is Swiss, that's why the site is bilingual (German an English). Their assembling instructions are open source and can be found both on instructables and dokuzi.
The instructions are straightforward and clear and are also available in German. I know, because I helped creating them ;-)

I am happy to answer any more questions.
Cheers from Hong Kong!
Freewilly
September 19, 2015 06:53AM
Hi,
freewilly
Are there better printers out there? I am sure, but probably not for this price.
Thanks for your friendly input.
Actualy, there's some delta printers with the same specifications
at a lower price here and there.
OTOH, DIY versions will be even less expensive.

++JM
September 19, 2015 08:38AM
To address the original poster question: It does not seem like there are dozens of previous buyers of these printers on these forums.

I do not agree with the statement that a low cost printer is a cheap one. That is due to my belief that more expensive printers use the same hardware and use more expensive (but not better quality) labor.

The result is, if it is less expensive, you can count on having to tweak the printer yourself. It will not be 100% perfect. Having this knowledge, the less expensive printers are great for those who do not think twice about having to fix or replace certain aspects of the printer.

So, if you have to ask the question, it means you are probably not ready to tackle the prospect of adjusting and fixing the printer when it arrives. You should move on to a printer that has its very own thread on these forums that has 20+ pages of information, reviews, problems, and solutions. Then you know what you are buying and have a definite source of support when you get it.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."
September 20, 2015 11:33PM
J-Max
Hi,
freewilly
Thanks for your friendly input.
Actualy, there's some delta printers with the same specifications
at a lower price here and there.
OTOH, DIY versions will be even less expensive.

++JM

I did find cheaper Deltas but not with same sepcs. Most were missing the ball bearing rails and used the wheel system instead, some had cheaper hotends and none that I can think of had autocalibration. Some were even missing the autolevel probe. But I didn't check them all, so I might have missed some ;-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login