Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bulldog XL Info

Posted by nefiwashere 
Bulldog XL Info
March 08, 2015 11:58AM
would like to know how the Bulldog XL reliability is?

cant really find any reviews on this extruder. thinking about replacing my current Greg's Hinged extruder. current extruder seems to give to many problems, hobbed bolt eating the filament. tried new rolls, different tension. not sure the hobbed bolt is getting dull.

thanks for any input on the Bulldog XL
Re: Bulldog XL Info
March 08, 2015 02:56PM
The Bulldog has two issues and both are related to how the filament is guided. Its is very difficult, sometimes impossible, to feed new filament in without opening it and secondly, soft filament (Nylon and elastics) can escape after the bolt when the pressure needed to extrude is to high. It is a bit of work to open the Bulldog.
Apart from that it is very reliable.
If you already have a wade and expect the bolt to be the problem, i would change that first before going for the Bulldog. A Wade is still one of the best extruders available.
Cheers
Björn

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 09, 2015 07:58AM
I have one and it works very well but as Srek stated it is very hard to feed new filament. I usually end up jamming something in to relieve the idler pressure and then it requires bending the last 3" of filament straight and prodding for a couple minutes before it goes into the bowden tube. I've never had any feeding problems with it and even when the hotend jammed the extruder happily forced filament wherever it could, I've since turned the driver down to prevent that...

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
March 09, 2015 04:21PM
I have had no issues with my XL. It is difficult to change the filament because of the tension on the pinch roller springs, so now I keep the hex wrench handy and release the tension before trying to change filament. I use 1.75mm filament and haven't had problems feeding it into the tube. I'm considering designing a tool to release the pinch wheel to make it faster and easier to change filament.

I think the high spring tension combined with the torque multiplied motor is what makes the thing so reliable.
August 15, 2018 12:59PM
Hello forum, i have been having issues with my bulldog extruder, randomly starts getting out the filament through the window it has between the bearing and the gear. It looks like the extruder is pushing so much filament so it starts to get out. I did tight both of the adjustment screws on the side of the XL, so probably if I lose them i can get better results. Did anybody have the same problem? What do you guys thinik could be the solution?
August 16, 2018 02:30AM
The bulldog hasn't got a good filament guide so any slightly flexible filament can easily escape to the side. I tried some own designed printed guides that did help a bit, but ultimately i replaced the bulldog with an own design direct extruder. The power the bulldog provides is rarely needed.

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login