Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would this be a nice 3d printer?

Posted by Geforcy 
Would this be a nice 3d printer?
March 08, 2015 02:29PM
Yesterday I was watching some youtube CNC videos as I want to make one. The CNC machine I saw was this: CNC russian printer

It was looking so beautiful I want to sort of replicate it and make a 3d printer of this machine.

Wise idea? Any tips? Or would it be too heavy?
Re: Would this be a nice 3d printer?
March 08, 2015 03:00PM
If you want something slow and loud, why not winking smiley
Seriously, a CNC machine is not suitable as a 3D printer since it is simply way to slow. It is designed to be able to exert a lot of force on the spindle, from a 3D printing pov this is completely unneccesary and just makes things slow, loud and expensive. Technically it's of course doable, but why not build a machine that is designed for the job at hand and not something very different?

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 08, 2015 03:11PM
Well i can make it with belts.
That would be way faster...
Or a rack and pinion.
March 08, 2015 03:27PM
Having Z in the X carriage is limitative, heavy and will make your printer slower no matter if you use belts or ball screw.

Now of course you can copy the design and build your own printer using that design, but don't expected to be fast nor economic.
March 08, 2015 03:43PM
What will give the most precise results? Belt, rack or threaded rods?
March 08, 2015 05:11PM
Either works, but thread is slw. You will find that precision is mostly a matter of calibration

[www.bonkers.de]
[merlin-hotend.de]
[www.hackerspace-ffm.de]
March 08, 2015 07:23PM
Hey Geforcy, you should look for the CoreXY principle, it's very fast and accurate. Maybe it's something you can build?

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
March 09, 2015 09:51AM
grinning smiley that machine still makes me laugh ! What the hell is this ? Sander bearings ? Never seen a so noisy thing before ! Hopefuly the spindle was off. Well, I'm affraid this thing is suitable for nothing serious, and certainly not 3D printing either. But that made my day.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 09, 2015 10:07AM
Zavashier
grinning smiley that machine still makes me laugh ! What the hell is this ? Sander bearings ? Never seen a so noisy thing before ! Hopefuly the spindle was off. Well, I'm affraid this thing is suitable for nothing serious, and certainly not 3D printing either. But that made my day.

Did you even think before posting? This seems like a great piece of equipment for CNC milling. Maybe not for 3D-printing, but otherwise it appears to be very well equipped for CNC milling.

March 09, 2015 10:48AM
Marinus, I'm convinced you have some skills in hobby 3D printing. I would not discuss design and city staging with you too, that's not my job, it will be yours soon I guess. As living, I work in a mechanical studdies office, and my job is to engineer production lines. Every body at the office have seen it, we share the same feeling and the same smile. That "thing" have too small motors to stand any serious milling job, those unsupported rails on that 4 pillars will vibrate like hell milling any hard surface. Through, it's a 24000 rpm spindle, it's weight is about 5kg. The overall gantry+Z element weights too much for that rails. Trust me or not, but this thing is poorly engineered, even a student should do better. Don't be impress by aluminium plates and leadscrews. Through, it's exactly that traditionnal russian tank engineering : oversize overall parts, except weakpoints especialy where you shouldn't. See for example that M5 screews, it jumps to the eye like an apple. If the gantry hits a pillar, they will broke quickly. This thing is far away to make a proper milling machine. I think about machines everyday, and that's my opinion. If you want to think it's a good machine, I don't mind. No problem winking smiley

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 09, 2015 11:56AM
Zavashier
Marinus, I'm convinced you have some skills in hobby 3D printing. I would not discuss design and city staging with you too, that's not my job, it will be yours soon I guess. As living, I work in a mechanical studdies office, and my job is to engineer production lines. Every body at the office have seen it, we share the same feeling and the same smile. That "thing" have too small motors to stand any serious milling job, those unsupported rails on that 4 pillars will vibrate like hell milling any hard surface. Through, it's a 24000 rpm spindle, it's weight is about 5kg. The overall gantry+Z element weights too much for that rails. Trust me or not, but this thing is poorly engineered, even a student should do better. Don't be impress by aluminium plates and leadscrews. Through, it's exactly that traditionnal russian tank engineering : oversize overall parts, except weakpoints especialy where you shouldn't. See for example that M5 screews, it jumps to the eye like an apple. If the gantry hits a pillar, they will broke quickly. This thing is far away to make a proper milling machine. I think about machines everyday, and that's my opinion. If you want to think it's a good machine, I don't mind. No problem winking smiley

Thanks for your reply, at least now it's constructive! smiling smiley

Of course, anyone can see this is not a professional setup, I work with this CNC mill: [www.biesseamerica.com]

Also notice the cable-guide on that Russian one, when the spindle is moved all the way to the left on the X-axis, the cable guide hits the Y-rail.

Once again, thanks for your view on the machine, it's nice to read the thought behind the comment smiling smiley

March 09, 2015 12:09PM
Zavashier
That "thing" have too small motors to stand any serious milling job...This thing is far away to make a proper milling machine.

It's not a mill. It's an engraver that can pretend to be a very duty mill. Not everything has to be done in super hard materials. From the Google Translate page from their website:

Machine for engraving as well as milling materials such as modeling wax, wood, plastic, PCB, bronze, duralumin, etc.

So basically it's a engraver/mill for things that scratch by looking at them wrong.
March 09, 2015 12:31PM
The Biesse come from another world, nothing compares to that cnc thing. We produce industrial lines for aircraft industry, you may imagine the huge size of our systems, and the precision required. I can't post the work done by our company. Our customers are very sensible on their industrial process, we're not allowed to show anything, even a bolt ! My workgroup is dedicated to one customer at a time. It's paranoia land, but the job is fun, we do great high end stuff, with enough time to do the best possible work. I noticed for the chain carrier, and also that it measures more than the lenght of the axis. Usualy, the chain carrier starts only from the middle of each axis which is fair enough. ,) I don't have much time to spend on it, but I will probably notice other questionnable points. The worst is of course that incredible noise, sign of low quality parts and out of square assembly, there's a noticeable cyclic one turn noise on each axis. eye rolling smiley Forget it. I look sometimes at your website, I wish we will see your recent work on it soon. I like especialy your station bench. Simple as that and either effective. Congratulations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2015 12:31PM by Zavashier.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login