Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

X-axis doesn't move with all axis connected

Posted by snorrus 
X-axis doesn't move with all axis connected
March 13, 2015 03:28PM
Hello, I really hope someone can help me with this problem.
I'm building a delta printer and the x-axis won't work when I hook up all of the steppers on the board. I've tried swapping the stepper drivers and motors around and tested all of them one by one on each port on the board, and they work just fine. Even if I connect X and Y or X and Z to the board both the axis move perfectly but when I hook up all three of them the X-axis just will not budge. Any ideas about what's doing this are very much appreciated!

I'm using RAMPS 1.4 and Repetier. The Configuration.h is attached.

Thanks!
Attachments:
open | download - Configuration.h (52.7 KB)
Re: X-axis doesn't move with all axis connected
March 13, 2015 04:00PM
What power supply are you using? Are you sure the 12V power supply connections are tight? Perhaps the voltage is dropping under load.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 13, 2015 04:27PM
I'm using a 12V supply with up to 30A. The printer worked fine earlier today but when I was in the process of calibrating it I pressed the home button and the whole system went haywire. The carriages went down against the heatbed instead of up and the motors skipped quite a bit of steps before I managed to pull the plug. I just checked the axis again and now it seems that none of the motors work when plugged into the X-position on the RAMPS board. Mabe the board got damaged?
March 13, 2015 05:33PM
Have you tried replacing the X motor driver by one of the others? The drivers are easily damaged if you connect or disconnect the motors with the power on, or if you have a bad motor connection.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

March 13, 2015 05:59PM
Yes, I've tried all of the drivers and motors in every combination on the X slot and nothing happens. Any troubleshooting I can do on the RAMPS board itself?
March 13, 2015 08:52PM
Check the soldering. Primarily under the board where the driver is plugged into and the endstop connections.
Is it not moving at all (left, right, home)? Or just in one direction?
March 14, 2015 05:00AM
I presume you have checked that with the power off, the X axis and motor move freely?

Another possibility is that either the Step signal or the Enable signal isn't getting through to the driver from the Arduino. After you apply power and try to move the X axis, does the motor turn freely, or not? This will tell is whether current is flowing through the windings.

March 14, 2015 05:43AM
I've come to solution to the problem, but I don't know exactly why! I unplugged everything and checked the soldiering on the board which seemed good. I then put it all back together and uploaded fresh repetier firmware from the web and now it all works again! My guess is that I fiddled with something in the firmware which caused the problem.

The motor axis moved freely when power was off, but also when power was on. So there wasn't any current flowing threw the windings, no.

Relatively simple solution, but it would please my curiosity to know what the exact problem was in the first place! I just hope the problem doesn't show up again while calibrating...
March 14, 2015 06:00AM
Listen snorrus, you're not supposed to open two nearly identical topics so I removed the other one. You stated your axis now works, congratulations.

http://www.marinusdebeer.nl/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login