Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wifi or bluetooth with ramps 1.4?

Posted by tm america 
Wifi or bluetooth with ramps 1.4?
March 19, 2015 07:06PM
I have been really wanting to make my machines wireless either wifi or bluetooth.. I purchased a couple different bluetooth and wifi adapters not sure which one is the easiest to go with.. What have you guys be running for wifi?Bluetooth?I think i seen in marlin a setting for using it wirelessly?
Re: Wifi or bluetooth with ramps 1.4?
March 19, 2015 07:22PM
Bluetooth has serial protocol. there are several instructions on how to use Bluetooth. some people it takes minutes, others it takes a day or so to configure. there are sections on several boards for how to attach Bluetooth adapters.

for wifi that involves some serious protocols and different processes that are not already in firmware and hardware. most likely you would need custom firmware or a custom controller and software package.

I'd stick with Bluetooth.

by the way cordless is very cool. it is a lot less work to have your laptop about anywhere in house to talk to your machine(s).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2015 07:24PM by jamesdanielv.
March 20, 2015 09:20AM
Raspberrri pi running OctoPrint is another option.
March 20, 2015 03:02PM
I am thinking a hc-06 would be easiest to hook up..It says it has a 30 ft range .. ?Do they make one with a longer range ?
March 20, 2015 08:40PM
no and in my experience this is the max range you want. you don't want neighbors devices trying to connect to the bt device. your serial communication with get messed up even if the device eventually is rejected for false pairing. items such as cellphones and pdas are constantly searching and trying to pair with specific bt devices.
September 28, 2015 05:29PM
Ok so i am thinking of switching to megatronics v2.0 on my machines.Looking at the schematic i am a little confused on how to wire in the HC-06 bluetooth module to the megatronics v2.0 as the megatronics has two chips for the logic looks like there is one for the usb and one for the sd card?On the ramps 1.4 it wires into the txd and rxd and 5volt power and ground but i am not sure if i can use the TX-D1 and RX-D0 on the A-Out with a the 5 volt power and ground on the A-out ..Has anyone added blueetooth to thier megatronics and do they have a schematic-diagram of how it wired in?
September 28, 2015 05:45PM
Ok after some more looking at the schematics i think i have it figured out ..Looks like i use the A-out pins on the megatronics v2.0..with a 1k and 680 ohm resistor like i would if i were using the ramps 1.4
September 28, 2015 06:10PM
ESP8266 to RAMPS Printing

DIY ESP8266 5v Breakout Board

Either way, I think I'd transfer the files to an SD card and then use wireless print from the SD card.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2015 06:14PM by madmike8.
September 28, 2015 06:41PM
Wifi is cool to i bought a couple of those to play with to.. just wanna be able to run it from my cell phone or tablet i already have the host apps for that
September 29, 2015 03:04AM
If you are switching electronics, consider using Duet electronics. It has an Ethernet port and provides a web interface that can be used from a PC, tablet or smartphone. You can connect the Ethernet port to your router using a cable, or if that is not convenient then power line adapters or a wifi bridge.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login