Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

new build, what electronics should I get?

Posted by lunarkingdom 
new build, what electronics should I get?
March 25, 2015 07:10PM
Hey guys going to build a large prusa style printer, I wanted to know what is the best electronics kit to get. I currently bought a prusa i3 from china and it has the ramps 1.4 all in one board with the built in Pololu boards, have not had a problem with it yet. It also has the built in screen and the ability to print from sd card. I like this setup, wha is the best one out there for me and where can I get it? I usually use ebay but am open to suggestions.
Re: new build, what electronics should I get?
March 25, 2015 07:36PM
Beware cheap Chinese RAMPS boards. They tend to use low quality mosfets without the oomph required to drive a heated bed and will blow fairly quickly. Beware also cheap clones of Arduino Mega 2560 boards as they tend to have problems out of the box. Other than that, RAMPS is a pretty mature and reliable platform. If you're looking to expand the capabilities of your printer, though, you'll need to be able to do more than run just the stock heated bed / extruder / fan combo (or bed / extruder / extruder or fan / extruder / extruder, etc.). Boards like the rumba or melzi allow you to do more.

Take a look at the reprap wiki for a rundown of some of the boards out there. [reprap.org]

[3DKarma.com] - suppliers of quality, affordable 3D printer kits and filament for the UK market.
March 26, 2015 04:16AM
For now I would say, any will fit. grinning smiley You ask for "what electronics" but don't say anything about what you expect. To help you in your choice we need to know what's important to you : price range, size, number of extruders, operating voltage, ability to manage large/complex parts, network features... Or what kind of job the machine will produce, should it be silent ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 04:17AM by Zavashier.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 26, 2015 08:23AM
I have used both Arduino Mega/RAMPS and Duet, and looked at other boards. Here's my take:

Arduino Mega/RAMPS
------------------------------
Pros:
Very cheap, if you buy the Chinese clones.
Plug-in stepper drivers, which means you get to choose what sort you want, also if you damage one then you can replace just that driver.
Several different firmwares available e.g. Marlin, Repetier, Teacup.

Cons:
Underpowered compared to modern 32-bit solutions, especially when used to run a Delta printer (e.g. it can't run a graphics LCD at the same time).
Slow serial-over-USB connection to host computer, so file upload speed is slow, and you may get poor quality prints unless you print from SD card instead of over USB.
No SD card socket, so you will almost certainly want to add an LCD panel with SD card socket to it (but these are very cheap).
The 5V regulator on the Arduino is fragile, easily damaged, and runs too hot if you add much load to the 5V rail e.g. graphic LCD.
Lacks software control of stepper motor current, so you have to twiddle pots while measuring voltages with a multimeter in order to set the current.
Even though it supports 5 motors, it only supports 1 extruder unless you change the 5A fuse, and even then you lose the cooling fan output.
Heated bed limited to 11A by the fuse, although you can use higher currents if you change the fuse and the mosfet.
Most RAMPS boards are no good for much more than 12V because they have 16V capacitors fitted, whereas most other boards can handle 24V or more.

My verdict: only use it if you are on a very tight budget, and not on a Delta.

Duet
------
Pros:
Fast processor (84MHz 32-bit) with 96K RAM, so adequate processing power
Fast native USB port with flow control
On-board Ethernet
On-board SDHC socket
Advanced firmware features:
- All configuration is done via gcodes in the startup file on the SD card, so very easy to configure - no need to recompile the firmware
- Excellent web interface, far more friendly and informative than any USB host program I have seen.
- Uploading to the SD card via both HTTP and FTP (and of course via UScool smiley
- Segmentation-free calculation of precise step times for Delta printers
- Fast auto-calibration of delta printers
- Bowden extruder elasticity compensation
- Stepper motor current reduction when idle
Software control of stepper motor current, which makes setting up much easier
Supports the PanelDue colour graphics touch-screen add-on, which is much nicer than the low-res mono displays that other boards support

Cons:
Only one firmware (RepRapFirmware) currently runs on the Duet, although you have a choice of at least 3 forks
To support more than one hot end, you need to add either the DueX4 board (which supports 4 more extruders), or the RepRapPro Duet shield (which supports 2 more extruders)
Doesn't yet support a low-cost LCD control panel, which may be an issue if you want an LCD control panel but don't want to shell out for a PanelDue (but as the Duet has an SD card socket, you don't actually need a control panel if you control the printer from a PC)
Currently has no distributors outside Europe
The stepper drivers are on-board, so if you damage one you have to replace the board or get the chip replaced

My verdict: a good choice if you only have one extruder. Just be careful not to connect/disconnect stepper motors with power applied, so that you don't damage the drivers (this goes for all boards). The cost of the DueX4 or Duet shield makes it less attractive if you want dual extruders from the outset.

Smoothieboard
--------------------
Pros:
Fast 32-bit processor
Fast native USB port
On-board Ethernet port (but the web interface is nowhere near as advanced as the one on the Duet)
On-board SD card socket
Available in a version that supports 2 hot ends and extruder drives on the main board
Software control of stepper motor current

Cons
------
Expensive (overpriced IMO)
Stepper drivers on board, so if you blow one then replacing it is difficult. OTOH I have heard that it is possible to drive external stepper motor drivers from a Smoothieboard.
Only supports Smoothieware firmware AFAIK.

My verdict: I have no experience of this board, but it may be a good choice if you want dual extrusion from the outset.

Arduino Due + RADDS
-------------------------------
Pros:
Fast 32-bit processor (same one as on the Duet)
Plug-in stepper motor drivers
Supports up to 3 extruders

Cons:
No Ethernet port (it's a great shame that the Arduino Due doesn't provide an Ethernet port, given that the mcu supports it)
No software control of motor current

My verdict: I can't really comment as I have no experience of it. It might be an economical 32-bit solution if you want to drive more than one extruder, especially if you buy a cheap Arduino Due clone.

AZSMZ Mini
----------------
This is a Smoothieware-compatible board but with plug-in stepper motor drivers and no Ethernet port. I have no experience of it, but it might be good as a budget 32-bit solution.

This list is far from complete, there are several other printer electronics available.

Full disclosure: I maintain one of the forks of RepRapFirmware (the firmware that runs on the Duet), and I manufacture the PanelDue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2015 01:24PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
March 26, 2015 01:21PM
Zavashier
For now I would say, any will fit. grinning smiley You ask for "what electronics" but don't say anything about what you expect. To help you in your choice we need to know what's important to you : price range, size, number of extruders, operating voltage, ability to manage large/complex parts, network features... Or what kind of job the machine will produce, should it be silent ?

Good point! Sorry was printing, working on my car at the same time I posted this, I am starting to lean toward the ramps/arduino/lcd side of things as I only need to run one extruder and 4 other stepper motors 2 of which are lifting the Y gantry and are in parallel. The main reason I am doing this build is the cheap plexiglass frame and overall build quality of the unit I bought from china is not very sturdy and the hot bed is too small at 8 x 8 inches. I am looking at either 12 or more likely16 inches square for the hot bed, I am wondering if the power needed for a larger hot bed is going to be a problem. I can also consider using an external 120 volt source for a separate heat bed controller.
March 26, 2015 04:39PM
Well for a 120v heatbed, anyways you will manage the control through a relay. The board does not matter.

Collective intelligence emerges when a group of people work together effectively. Prusa i3 Folger (A lot of the parts are wrong, boring !)
March 26, 2015 10:20PM
I think I'm on my 5th RAMPS based device. Getting ready to start #6. I haven't had a bad one yet. I haven't had one fail yet. I usually order an extra one when i have a spare $10, and then match it to a $13 Mega clone.
April 13, 2015 08:22AM
I’m using the Smoothieboard for my products at Kikai Labs, and am very happy with it, even though it’s expensive compared to others if you ignore the extra features. The firmware is very nice. I’ve tied it in to a 4D Systems smart LCD (touch panel, color). I’ts used by the new Fabber M11 printer.
April 13, 2015 08:32AM
I second the vote for Smoothieboard. Updating firmware and changing machine configuration doesn't get much easier. It's also easy to make connections to external motor drivers, etc.
April 14, 2015 06:32AM
Hi to everyone on the thread/forum,

I'm looking for similar advice in relation to getting electronics for a delta printer which I've nearly finished assembling. I did think that the Sanguinololu 1.3 electronics could be used to control a delta printer but I've read somewhere that a few bits in the Marlin Firmware would need to be changed. I'm leaning towards a Duet in order to get the printer running but as mentioned above, the RAMPS electronics is always a contender.

The one downside to the Duet is that the stepper drivers are on board and after blowing a 644p processer recently (replaced it with a 1284p), I've been a bit wary of something similar happening on a board which you aren't able to switch parts out of.

Thanks.

Raj
April 14, 2015 07:17AM
8-bit processors are swamped by Delta math, especially when a graphical LCD is included. If you include a 32-bit processor as your top requirement, 95% of the current electronics offerings are removed from your shopping list.....
April 14, 2015 07:33AM
btw there is now a second source for Duet electronics, see [www.replikeo.com]. They charge $79.99 + shipping from Hong Kong. It includes an external 5V linear regulator board, which is needed if you want to build a CE-compliant printer such as Ormerod 2, but not if you don't and use the on-board 5V switching regulator instead. Disclaimer: I have no experience with that company's products.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2015 07:36AM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

April 14, 2015 09:23AM
The Duet was nice, as I remembered when I evaluated it... the main problem is I wanted a CoreXY system and it was not supported then... is it now?

Also it was inconvenient and expensive to have to use the expansion board in order to have a second extruder, but I believe that's been solved now.
April 14, 2015 12:06PM
paucus
The Duet was nice, as I remembered when I evaluated it... the main problem is I wanted a CoreXY system and it was not supported then... is it now?

Yes, I added support for CoreXY/CoreXZ/CoreYZ in my fork of RepRapFirmware.

paucus
Also it was inconvenient and expensive to have to use the expansion board in order to have a second extruder, but I believe that's been solved now.

There is now a shield that fits on top of the board, giving 2 more extruders drivers and 2 more heater/thermistor channels. It's more convenient than using the expansion board and will hopefully cost less; but it's still not as convenient as having 2 extruder drives and 2 hot end heaters supported on the main board.

April 15, 2015 04:57PM
I would get a cheap bundle (Arduino and Ramp1.4 w/ drivers) from china for 10-20 bucks from china. If you need more power or want to upgrade look at the duet if you have the money.

If I had the money I would of went with the duet; however, I got knock off smoothie board from china so far so good (Variant of AZSMZ Mini) [www.aliexpress.com].
April 15, 2015 11:49PM
This is what I ended up getting, almost exactly what you mentioned but with the large screen:

link to ebay auction I bought mine from

I have not fired it up yet but probably will get to that point this weekend.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login