Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nozzles with a slot for a thermistor or a groove for wrapping nichrome?

Posted by reifsnyderb 
Nozzles with a slot for a thermistor or a groove for wrapping nichrome?
June 17, 2010 11:39AM
Hello,

I am wondering what the opinion is for using a nozzle with a slot milled in it to hold the thermistor. What I am thinking about doing is to take a Large Brass Nozzle (BigHead style) and mill a 1/8" slot in it to hold the thermistor.

Also, I could make some with a groove in them to allow nichrome wire to be wrapped around them.

Due to the space available, there is only enough space for either a slot or a groove.

If there is any interest, I'll make them available.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2010 11:44AM by reifsnyderb.
Re: Nozzles with a slot for a thermistor or a groove for wrapping nichrome?
June 17, 2010 05:17PM
Actually, something that has been working flawlessly for me is a Nasa technique for attaching thermocouples to rocket motors -

[www.techbriefs.com]

Basically you drill a 0.5 mm hole in the side of your nozzle, not all the way though, insert the 2 thermocouple wires, and peen them in there. It works great, and if you use non-welded thermocouples, you get an automatic fail-safe - if one or more of the wires comes loose, I get an out of bounds temperature reading, and my software knows to shut down the heater. Hasn't happened yet.

This requires a thermocouple and the thermocouple measuring circuit, but it's way more accurate than a thermistor, tougher, and you can cut your thermocouples into many short thermocouples.

Wade
Do the wires need to be electrically insulated when they are inserted into the hole?
I have been trying to figure out how to get the temperature right at the tip of my nozzle.
I am using 36 gauge thermocouple wire, so I can certainly make a small hole right at the tip.
June 17, 2010 06:40PM
Nope, the thermocouple wire should be bare at the tip. It doesn't matter if the two wires actually touch inside the hole, as long as there is a K to Brass to T connection in there somewhere, you'll get the average voltage. This does require that your nozzle is electrically insulated from the rest of your electronics though - make sure you don't have a short from the nichrome to the nozzle. And if you use furnace cement, be aware that you'll get strange readings from the thermocouple until the cement cures - the wet cement and the different metals make a bit of a wet cell.

Wade
June 17, 2010 06:49PM
Hello,

I hadn't thought about a thermocouple.

Drilling a 0.50 hole near the tip could also be an option as there is plenty of room for one.

Regards,

Brian
June 17, 2010 10:48PM
Thanks Wade. I sort of figured the nozzle would have to be electrically isolated, but was not 100% certain. For now I will just attach on the main body of the barrel and insulate with kapton, like I have been doing.

Reif, thermocouples are very easy to use and you can make them smaller than any thermistor. The wires on mine are about 5 thousands of an inch. I built a small capacitive discharge spot welder to weld them together and I wrap them in 1 layer of Kapton tape. I do work under a stereo microscope when I do this since the wires are so small. Working with a larger gauge would not be much different. In fact, as Wade has mentioned, they do not really need to be spotwelded, but it makes for a more secure bond if you do.
VDX
June 18, 2010 03:18AM
... for temp sensing i use mostly PT100-resistors as they're linear and i can measure until 800 centigrades.

The smallest i found were flat SMD-types with 1mmx3mmx0.5mm ceramic bed, but the best reliable are cylindric ones with 2mm diameter and 6mm length.

With the linear characteristics they're easy to calibrate, but i use them mostly for my industrial process temp-controllers from Watlow, where i can select the sensor between different types - JK, thermocouple, PT100/PT1000 or others more ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 18, 2010 07:49AM
@Viktor...Have you got a part number for either of those resistors? What would you need to use one. Just an ADC pin?

That is very intriguing.
VDX
June 18, 2010 09:44AM
Hi Arvin,

i've got them from Heraeus as samples, but you can find them in every electronics shop - search for PT100 and then select the grade A-types, which are specified until 500 centigrades ... but they are really pricey with 6 to 15 Euros eye popping smiley

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 21, 2010 04:35PM
Hello,

I just sent out a nozzle with a thermistor slot and a groove, for testing. Hopefully, the results will be positive.

Regards,

Brian
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login