Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Comparing RepRap / MakerBot / Fab@Home

Posted by kleight 
Comparing RepRap / MakerBot / Fab@Home
June 21, 2010 03:15PM
Hi everyone.

I'm working on a comparison chart of RepRap, MakerBot, & Fab@Home printers for a post over at the Ponoko blog. I'm gathering info through various wikis and sites, but thought it might be more efficient to ask here. Below are the categories I'm filling in for each of the printers. Info you have on any of them would be *very* much appreciated. Also, if you think I am missing a key piece of comparative info, please let me know.

The models I am specifically concerned with are those available at Ponoko.
• Acrylic RepRap [ponoko.com]
• MakerBot Cupcake CNC [ponoko.com]
• Fab@Home Model 2.0 [ponoko.com]

COMPARISON CATEGORIES

• estimated total cost of machine

• machine dimensions

• hours it takes to assemble

• type of extruder

• type of plastic extruded

• available build space

• resolution

• feedrate

• availability of electronics, motors, other equipment

• licensing

I'll also be including availability of assembly instructions and highlights of the support community.

Thank you! ::Kristen [blog.ponoko.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2010 03:25PM by kleight.
Re: Comparing RepRap / MakerBot / Fab@Home
June 22, 2010 12:11AM
Hi Kristen,

Much of this information should be buried in
[reprap.org]

Please let me (or Vik Oliver ideally) know if it isn't. And most of the data about vanilla Darwin should cross over, so a few focused google searches about Darwin should answer your questions.

That laser-cut darwin-type is rather out of date, culturally. It should still work quite well for your users, but the butterfly-like fovea of RepRap is currently pointing at [reprap.org]

• availability of electronics, motors, other equipment
RepRap doesn't really do "official" electronics or have an "official" supplier. It is our nature; everyone with a working Mendel is an official Mendel supplier. This also means that you're an official supplier of acrylic darwins. smiling smiley

That said, this is popular:
http://reprap.org/wiki/Generation_3_Electronics/Tech_Zone_Remix
gil of [botmill.com] sells them for Kimberly and Lambert of Tech Zone.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login