Makerbot lays off 20% of workforce
April 17, 2015 05:05PM
If it's mentioned elsewhere, apologies.

According to Motherboard, Makerbot laid off 20% of it's workforce today although it's not really a surprise since Stratasys bought them in 2013. Looks like around a 100 people were let go due to Makerbot consolidating resources and operations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2015 05:05PM by cdru.
Re: Makerbot lays off 20% of workforce
April 17, 2015 06:27PM
Given TakerBot's drag on Stratasys' bottom line during their last quarterly earnings report, this should come as no surprise.

I'm grabbing my popcorn for the ramifications of their actions under New York State law. Layoffs of that size need to be reported to the state in a specific time window before they happen, and the apparent surprise nature of this announcement to their employees leads me to believe that they didn't do so. Even more interesting, if they are using any state-provided tax breaks for opening up a startup business and employing those people, they could lose that benefit as well if they cut workers below their committed levels.....
Re: Makerbot lays off 20% of workforce
April 17, 2015 07:41PM
vreihen
I'm grabbing my popcorn for the ramifications of their actions under New York State law. Layoffs of that size need to be reported to the state in a specific time window before they happen, and the apparent surprise nature of this announcement to their employees leads me to believe that they didn't do so.

According to here (non-authoratative but at least reuptable) they didn't meet the threshold of 33% of their workforce required by federal or state WARN laws. Still a chitty thing to do without warning but it sounds like most knew it was likely to happen eventually.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login