Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

printing ABS on paper?

Posted by skynetprinter 
printing ABS on paper?
April 18, 2015 06:28AM
This is just a groovy idea, perhaps a solution for those that have trouble getting ABS to stick. It sticks well to 80'C masking tape paper, the only trouble is that the paper itself unsticks from the printing board(in my case aluminium)... So i want to try gluing ordinary paper to the board using hairspray, and then print ABS/PLA on that.

Who knows, it could be an alternative to using hairspray on it's own, which in my case didn't work, and all the other current options. it could be an extra workaround for big ABS prints, and PLA too. I've run out of masking tape so i will be having a go soon, when my 30 hours printing job is finished.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2015 06:29AM by skynetprinter.
Re: printing ABS on paper?
April 18, 2015 08:19AM
Couple of ideas for your experiment.
You dont need to use hairspray, as the glue for the pape,r as your not worried about irs effect on the print bottom surface as you will have paper between the print and glue.
You could use a spray fixing glue to hold the paper or any other glue.

Paper tends to warp/ripple when you glue it, maybe a thin card instead?

also ive had great results, no warping or coming of the bed with abs or pla with kapton tape on glass at 90c to 110c.
And it lasts for multiple prints before it needs relying on the bed. Have you tried it?
33m metre roll of 20cm wide tape costs about £20-£25. Thats nearly 165 print beds worth and each i get through about 2 beds worth a week on average.
Thats about a year and a half of printing from one roll of tape. Thats got to be cheaper than hairspray.
April 18, 2015 09:37AM
Kapton tape works great for ABS printing and doesn't require making a mess of your print bed. I use 5 mil thick tape and it lasts for months before I have to replace any of it. I use 2" wide strips on my 12" x 12.5" bed and only have to replace the strips that get damaged (typically the two in the center of the bed). I've been working off the same roll of tape for about 3 years including putting tape on 3 or 4 printer's beds at the Milwaukee Makerspace.

How much do you value your time? If you don't mind the hours of cleaning you'll be doing of the next couple years using hairspray/gluesticks/etc., then you have your solution. If you're going to do a lot of 3D printing, it might be worth investing in the solution that is known to work, even if it costs a little more.
April 18, 2015 10:10AM
Digitaldentist,
I picked the 20cm side tape so i wouldnt have joins showing.
But your idea of only replacing the thinner strips makes a lot of sense and hadnt occured to me.
Ill have to give it a try Itll make the tape last even longer.
Do you get much in the way of marks underneath with the edges?
I could keep the full width tape for when i want the base to be the top smooth surface of the print and the narrow when a line or two doesnt matter.
Thanks for the idea.

Gordon
April 18, 2015 03:07PM
Yes, some very narrow ridges at the 2" intervals, but nothing that matters.

When I got the tape about 3 years ago it was on sale for some reason for about $40, and was a screaming bargain at that time. We used the usual 1-2mil tape at the makerspace and it gets torn easily so has to be replaced a lot.

One tip to help the tape last a long time: let the print cool before you try to remove it from the bed. If you try to take it off while the bed is hot you'll tear the tape easily.

When you apply the tape to the bed you'll want to get the bubbles out from under it. The trick is to put it into a bucket of water with some dish detergent then apply it to the bed while it's wet. Then you work the bubbles out starting at the center and pushing them toward the edges. When you turn the heat on it will still have bubbles, so you'll have to work at it a few times but you can get all the bubbles out.
April 19, 2015 02:06AM
i have some of :AAQ:GB:1123" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">this and it doesnt work for 2-3 inch square prints, perhaps it's coated in teflon?
April 19, 2015 06:10AM
I find you do have to wipe it with acetone before use.

I put my 20cm full width tape on with a tray full of slightly soapy water then squeegy it with an old credit/debit card.

Gordon
April 19, 2015 07:28AM
awesome gordon ) sounds very practical. i just found a soapy water instruction vid. brilliant.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login