Intel Compustick
April 24, 2015 02:09AM
How about a printer controller board that you plug one of these into to run everything...? Windows...Andriod...Linux..?

Re: Intel Compustick
April 24, 2015 07:43AM
I wouldn't want windows anywhere near my printer. 3D printing is unreliable enough without depending on windows to control the machine!

Boards that run OSes always have housekeeping tasks to do that might interfere with the precise timing required in a 3D printer. That's why they've so far been relegated to sending gcode, line by line, to the printer controller board.
April 24, 2015 11:03AM
the_digital_dentist
I wouldn't want windows anywhere near my printer. 3D printing is unreliable enough without depending on windows to control the machine!

Boards that run OSes always have housekeeping tasks to do that might interfere with the precise timing required in a 3D printer. That's why they've so far been relegated to sending gcode, line by line, to the printer controller board.

Mach3 works fine on the systems that support it.

Please add your printer design to [reprap.org]
April 24, 2015 06:33PM
If you want something running an OS, it's gotta be a real-time or super-low-latency OS, like a Linux variant. And there's no reason to use this instead of a RasPi-style ARM board, which is cheaper and has GPIO.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login