Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Decent hotend?

Posted by fatesalign 
Decent hotend?
May 04, 2015 11:01PM
Hello, I was wondering if anyone knew whether this was a good hot end or not: [www.ebay.com]

I was looking at the e3d, but it seems to be a huge pain to get that and do all the work to make it work well, while this looks like it works fine. Thanks for any ideas.
Re: Decent hotend?
May 04, 2015 11:11PM
That looks like an E3D without a heatsink. For the same money, you can get an E3D knockoff *with* a heatsink. And I think that an E3D with a heatsink would perform better than one without, else they wouldn't sell many heatsinks.
May 04, 2015 11:15PM
Oh wow. I didn't know you could get it without the heatsink. My printer actually has a heat-sink right above the hot end. Do you think I could actually purchase a legitimate e3d v6 without the hotend and it work? Should I include a picture?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2015 11:17PM by fatesalign.
May 04, 2015 11:48PM
Another thing I'm a little confused about is: Do I really need PTFE tubing? My current setup doesn't have any I don't believe. If it does, it's on the inside of it.
May 05, 2015 06:30PM
The E3D v6 (and lite6) has PTFE in it. I believe some hotends don't, though.
May 05, 2015 08:18PM
The 3mm v6 direct drive version doesn't.

Some designs need it regardless. Some designs need it to support some types of filaments. And whether its presence limits the temperature capabilities of the extruder depends on the design.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login