Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looking at building a Large FDM

Posted by SpannerHands 
Re: Looking at building a Large FDM
May 17, 2015 02:45PM
SpannerHands
Yea, its is a shame, but after a nights sleep, I thought of solution to make the Z arm 50% lighter, so might not be completely dead yet...

And thanks James as you you have reminded me of something I always overlook, KISS Keep It Simple Stupid, so unless there is a major advantage with core-XY or H-BOT its going to be simple...

IMO, delta is the simplest design mechanically, because you don't have to move the bed or anything else with significant mass.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 17, 2015 06:31PM
o_lampe
Today, I printed a 15cm long part and it warped on all 4 edges. Hard to imagine, how you will fight this problem with a 100cm piece.. sad smiley
-Olaf

3D printing is still a dark-art, I am by know means an expert but I know quite allot about Polymers and how they react, trust me compared to getting large rotor moulded products to actually flow & mould correctly makes 3D printing look easy...

I am sure that if you post in this forum the file, settings & material etc... someone will be able to help and suggest a solution...

And always remember just because you have a 3D printer it does not mean that every design will work, but if you take that fact it needs to be 3D printed into consideration doing the design process most issues can be removed at that point...

Simple warping guide:

PLA
Warping at the base:
40c bed + kapton tape + UHT or Elmer's disappearing purple glue
Other Warping
More cooling / lower temp

ABS
Warping at the base:
heated bed 90c glass or kapton tape + ABS Juice (10cm 1.75mm ABS + 15ml of acetone left for 24 hours)
Other Warping
Heated chamber / Enclosed to keep heat in...

PS
And most 3D printers that states prints abs, its BS yes it prints (i.e. comes out the nozzle) but will it print objects no...
May 18, 2015 03:43AM
Thanks for the input!
I didn´t want to hijack this thread, but I´m playing with an idea, how to avoid warps easier without messing around with temps and printspeed.
I will look in the experimental firmware section and start a thread there.
It might get interesting for you too, one day winking smiley

Thx
-Olaf
May 19, 2015 08:15PM
Okay, I've bee working on a fairly large Delta printer for about a year now. All design is done in SolidWorks. I have virtually all the materials and have cut all the extrusions and machined some of the frame parts. It is being built on the home built CNC that I have attached a picture of. So far about $1200 invested.

The basic parameters were that it needed to pass through a standard 36" door way. So the frame is about as big as possible given that constraint and about 6 feet tall. The frame is hexagon to take advantage of the fact that a round build area can be quite a bit larger. So the build area is 21 inches in diameter and 24-1/2" inches tall.

The extrusions behind the slides are 10mm x 20mm and the slides are Rollon steel rails with steel ball bearing wheels. The motors are large Nema 23 driven by Leadshine Digital Drivers powered by a 48 volt linear power supply. All the electrical is going in a slide out drawer in the base. The bed will be heated with 120 vac and the enclosure is 1/2" urethane foam with aluminum foil both sides. The enclosure will be heated too. The motors are not in the heated area except for the geared extruder which is mounted to a water cooled base that also is the cold end of the of the extruder.

Control is a Smoothy board with a 32 bit processor. One of the first parts to finish is a mount for a Dremel style spindle so that it can be used to route electrical panels and name plates right on the machine.
Attachments:
open | download - ROS, MASTER Assembly .pdf (275.7 KB)
open | download - ROS, Master Assembly 2.pdf (280.1 KB)
open | download - sDSC00736.jpg (320 KB)
May 19, 2015 08:23PM
Ah, finally a delta with a decent amount of bracing. I thought I was never going to see one smiling smiley The mill looks very fine too.
May 23, 2015 02:53PM
Thanks James,
The mill is both vertical & horizontal and has an R8 spindle and a router spindle. It also has a lathe tool post behind the spindle and a 7x12 stepper driven lathe bed for turning. There is also a 3d printer head and 12" square heated bed, but haven't got that working yet as all the Reprap parts I bought were complete junk.
May 24, 2015 07:59AM
eye popping smiley

Wow, that's a whole lot of functionality in there! Very impressive. I have a Taig lathe and I haven't even added thread cutting yet. The enclosure you've built is fantastic.
June 02, 2015 12:13PM
Olaf,

The warping issue is simple to prevent, after 4 or 5 layers apply few drops of crazy glue on each corner. I have to do this in two of occasions when I was printing parts the size of my built plate.
June 26, 2015 08:20AM
Sorry I have not posted here for some time, quick update been doing some simulation and testing, basically moving onto a delta design : -) so watch this space!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login