Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

best layer hight for a 0.4 nozzle ?

Posted by Nikki81 
best layer hight for a 0.4 nozzle ?
May 18, 2015 03:05PM
what is the best layer hight for a 0.4 nozzle so there is a good balance of quality and speed ?

thanks Nikki
Re: best layer hight for a 0.4 nozzle ?
May 18, 2015 03:24PM
0.2 and 0.3

0.2 best quality
0.3 less printing time
May 18, 2015 03:25PM
Hi Nikki,

I have found 0.2mm to be the best for me in regards to speed and quality.

However, 0.1 gives very good prints!

Regards,

Alex
May 18, 2015 03:46PM
I use .2mm- .3mm
.1mm if I absoulutly need to but I rarely use anything that low.
May 18, 2015 04:38PM
Somewhere around .24 might work well, but your actual optimal layer height depends on your lead-screws as much as (or more than) your nozzle diameter. Check out Josef Prusa's calculator for Optimal Layer Height.
May 18, 2015 05:16PM
Thank You I will run some test prints tomorrow. I have been using 0.2 layer hight and have been getting very good prints but it is very slow it took over 5 hours to print just the body of a wades extruder but not having any experience am not 100% sure if that is just how long it takes.

Thanks Nikki
May 18, 2015 08:55PM
Nikki81
Thank You I will run some test prints tomorrow. I have been using 0.2 layer hight and have been getting very good prints but it is very slow it took over 5 hours to print just the body of a wades extruder but not having any experience am not 100% sure if that is just how long it takes.

Thanks Nikki

sounds pretty normal, the process was never meant to be quick

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 18, 2015 11:36PM
I print all ABS at about 40mm/sec and it seems to work ok. Scale the speed down for smaller prints and up for larger prints.
May 19, 2015 02:24AM
I'd be curious to know what speed others print at. I run 60mm/s (20 on first layer) with pla and getting quite nice prints at .3 layer height. enough so that I haven't scaled down to .2 yet.
May 19, 2015 06:37AM
I think I have found the perfect setting I have been testing 0.25 with the 0.5 test cube.

May 19, 2015 10:34AM
Nikki81
I think I have found the perfect setting I have been testing 0.25 with the 0.5 test cube.
[attachment 54896 IMG_0601.JPG]

Sweet job. One caveat though...make sure that your layer value gives you integral steps ( [Steps/mm] / StepSize ) on your z-axis. If you end up with decimals, then there will be a rounding error and the part gets ripples.
May 19, 2015 04:11PM
his calipers say mm ;-)
May 19, 2015 05:14PM
lunarkingdom
his calipers say mm ;-)
He meant make sure your layer height is evenly divisable by the steps and pitch of your Zaxis threaded rod.

If he is using a 5mm threaded rod with a .8mm pitch then at a layer height of .25mm he will have an error of -.8mm over 10cm

M5 threaded rod likes layers that are even. Instead of .25mm (that would give rounding issues) .24mm or .26mm would be fine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 05:15PM by Floyd.
May 19, 2015 05:19PM
Floyd
He meant make sure your layer height is evenly divisable by the steps and pitch of your Zaxis threaded rod.

If he is using a 5mm threaded rod with a .8mm pitch then at a layer height of .25mm he will have an error of -.8mm over 10cm

M5 threaded rod likes layers that are even. Instead of .25mm (that would give rounding issues) .24mm or .26mm would be fine.

So almost nobody uses bed autotramming/leveling? I am asking because if you use it then your "virtual Z axis" is probably no longer vertical and the above precaution would no longer be so simple to apply.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2015 05:21PM by cristian.
May 19, 2015 06:23PM
Personally ive used auto bed level with and without and I found I had more issues and grief with it on the printer.

I manually leveled the bed using a machinest indicator and have not had to worry about a unleveled bed since.

Auto bed level in my opinion has its places but its no replacement for a properly setup printer.
May 19, 2015 06:27PM
Floyd
Personally ive used auto bed level with and without and I found I had more issues and grief with it on the printer.

I manually leveled the bed using a machinest indicator and have not had to worry about a unleveled bed since.

Auto bed level in my opinion has its places but its no replacement for a properly setup printer.

Sorry for the OT question: what (kind and model of) tool did you use specifically?
May 19, 2015 09:20PM
This is not the one I used but just about any dial indicator will work. Id shoot for one in .001" graduations
[www.amazon.com]

Dial indicators start at about 20-30 bucks and go into the many hundreds...
VTE
May 20, 2015 03:31AM
Floyd do you have a picture of your setup?
May 20, 2015 05:00AM
cristian
So almost nobody uses bed autotramming/leveling? I am asking because if you use it then your "virtual Z axis" is probably no longer vertical and the above precaution would no longer be so simple to apply.

I periodically level the bed as accurately as I can using the levelling screws, however there is a slight twist in the Y axis which means that I can't get all 4 corners at exactly the same height. Also the bed seems to drift out of adjustment sometimes. I could probably fix both of these with a little work, however as long as the amount of error is no more than about 0.3mm, I am content to enable auto bed compensation when I do a large print.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 20, 2015 04:00PM
VTE
Floyd do you have a picture of your setup?
Not on hand. I can however take a picture tonight.
Keep in mind I dont have the indicator on the printer, its only a temporary item for calibration not a permanent install.
May 22, 2015 11:26AM
Floyd is doing the same as myself. I level with a dial indicator and agree there is no substitute for a properly set up printer. Just my two cents.
May 22, 2015 01:31PM
yeah, I can't picture how the hell this thing works
May 22, 2015 02:39PM
I straped it to my carriage with the plunger on the bed.
Then i manually jogged the bed in the x and y axis and adjusted until I could travel the whole distance of the bed without much of a change. Most of the time it was .002"-.004" difference from the high spots and low spots of the glass after leveling manually.
May 22, 2015 04:29PM
Here is a picture of three runs that I did at three different z-axis slicing levels. Don't consider top infill. [forums.reprap.org]
May 22, 2015 04:41PM
Yeah, i saw this in another thread. but you said there you were running at 100mm/s? I normally run at .3 with 60mm/s and I'm really happy with my prints.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login