Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Seeking resistor heater recommendations

Posted by leadinglights 
Seeking resistor heater recommendations
May 19, 2015 02:37PM
On all of the hotends I have made to date I used Welwyn 7W W22 resistors which are 7mm diameter by 22mm long and I have never had a failure but am looking for something physically smaller to try to fit a whole bunch of hotends close together. I see that there are several makes fitting a 5.5mm diameter by 12.7mm long format which would be great - has anybody got types (Manufacture and range/part no) which they can recommend, or which to avoid.

Mike
Re: Seeking resistor heater recommendations
May 19, 2015 02:48PM
With a current controlled PSU, you wouldn´t need any heat resistor. Just use the aluminum body as heating element.

With a PWM signal it would probably work with the RAMPS and a standard voltage controlled PSU. ( Not tested yet!)
-Olaf
May 19, 2015 02:52PM
Most people use cartridge heaters these days, not resistors. You will find a wide range of 6mm cartridge heaters on ebay, and smaller one elsewhere e.g. here [reprappro.com].

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 19, 2015 03:22PM
I tried heater cartridges when they first came out but had 4 failures out of 5 - one burned out after ca 20 hours, one case short, one open circuit and one with a resistance of 13 Ohms. I would prefer to stick to resistors until I am convinced that there is a quality product on the market..

By the way, o_lampe, don't try your current controlled PSU idea, the power dissipation depends on the resistance - formula is Power = I squared R.
May 19, 2015 03:38PM
leadinglights
I tried heater cartridges when they first came out but had 4 failures out of 5 - one burned out after ca 20 hours, one case short, one open circuit and one with a resistance of 13 Ohms. I would prefer to stick to resistors until I am convinced that there is a quality product on the market..
Or perhaps you need to find a better source especially if the 4 of 5 came from the same batch and/or source. I've never had an issue with a cartridge heater failing. The only time that I've ever had to replace them is for design considerations.
May 19, 2015 04:06PM
They actually came from two batches, both 24V and 12V - I originally mentioned the problem on this forum about a year ago [forums.reprap.org]
There are also two other factors to consider, I use 24V as far as possible and have not yet seen smaller cartridges in 24V. Also, an axial heater works better in my multi-extruder design.
I will try the heater that dc42 mentioned but I will reserve my options and mainly investigate resistors.
May 20, 2015 02:51AM
leadinglights

By the way, o_lampe, don't try your current controlled PSU idea, the power dissipation depends on the resistance - formula is Power = I squared R.

You´d need a low voltage/high current PSU for sure, like welding inverters. Only smaller...
May 20, 2015 04:55AM
leadinglights
I use 24V as far as possible and have not yet seen smaller cartridges in 24V.

RepRapPro does a 19V version, see [reprappro.com]. It should be OK on 24V if you restrict the maximum PWM.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 20, 2015 06:49AM
Thanks dc42, I will send for one from RepRapPro to try. I suspect though that in the end I will in the end keep to resistors - one by Vishay (part number RWM041022ROJR15E1) is categorized all the way up to 450C.

o_lampe, The resistance of an aluminum hot end block made from a 1cm cube would be about 28 microOhms so to get it to dissipate 20 watts would take 2670 Amps - the wires would be too thick for me.
May 20, 2015 09:27AM
leadinglights
Thanks dc42, I will send for one from RepRapPro to try. I suspect though that in the end I will in the end keep to resistors - one by Vishay (part number RWM041022ROJR15E1) is categorized all the way up to 450C.

450C is a good maximum temperature, and the price is good too (GBP0.43 from Farnell). Getting good thermal contact between the resistor and the heater block won't be easy though, and I don't think the usual thermal transfer pastes are any good at those temperatures.

May 20, 2015 09:27AM
leadinglights

o_lampe, The resistance of an aluminum hot end block made from a 1cm cube would be about 28 microOhms so to get it to dissipate 20 watts would take 2670 Amps - the wires would be too thick for me.

That´s a lot! But your plans were to build a hole bunch of hotends, so you could design them in a different way to give them much more resistance.
Especially where the heat is needed around the nozzle.

Probably this is one step too far for now...
-Olaf
May 21, 2015 04:48AM
dc42
leadinglights

450C is a good maximum temperature, and the price is good too (GBP0.43 from Farnell). Getting good thermal contact between the resistor and the heater block won't be easy though, and I don't think the usual thermal transfer pastes are any good at those temperatures.

I do have a tiny amount (0.5ml) of a pyrolytic graphite thermal transfer compound which is astonishingly conductive up to about 700C but probably have not enough for this job. I have been looking at Deepcool Z5 which is supposed to be good to 300 degrees but can't find in the U.K.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login