Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Which Controller Board do you recommend

Posted by scubi 
Which Controller Board do you recommend
May 20, 2015 02:49AM
Hi
Which controller Board do you recommend that is a step up from the Ramps 1.4 at a reasonable cost. If you building a another printer and wanted a better board.
Whats your reasons for this board ?

Thanks
Re: Which Controller Board do you recommend
May 20, 2015 04:52AM
I am a fan of Duet electronics, [reprap.org]. It's based on a 32-bit ARM core processor with 512K flash and 96K RAM. It has a native USB port, built-in SDHC card, and an Ethernet port. It has four A4982 drivers on the board with software-controlled current. If you need more, you can add either the Duet shield (which supports 2 more hot ends) or the DueX4 (which supports 4 more hot ends). The firmware supports an excellent web interface (so no need to add a RPi/Octoprint etc. unless you want to support a webcam as well), and probably has the best delta printer support (segmentation-free delta movement, and full auto calibration in a single iteration). It supports a colour touch screen add on, the PanelDue (full disclosure: I manufacture this). All the configuration is done via gcodes in the config.g. file on the SD card. The Duet costs $80 from Replikeo, or a bit more from RepRapPro or Think3DPrint3D.

Another board you should consider is the Smoothieboard. It costs more than the Duet, however you can buy it in a 5-extruder version, so for dual extruder systems it should work out cheaper. I expect someone else will reply to this thread with more about the Smoothieboard.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 26, 2015 04:42AM
Hi
Is there anyone else that could give there recommendations on controller boards. An upgrade from the Ramps 1.4 ?
VDX
June 26, 2015 05:06AM
... I'm actually building/optimizing with ArduinoDue+RADDS 1.5 (http://reprap.org/wiki/RADDS) -- the stepper drivers are RAPS128 with 2.2Amps continuous and up to 3Amps peak ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
June 26, 2015 06:15AM
I like smoothieboard, but what are you expecting from a new board that is different from Arduino/RAMPS?
June 26, 2015 06:25AM
Hi
I was thinking that don't have to adjust the stepper drivers manually and also like to have two hotends etc.
June 26, 2015 06:30AM
the_digital_dentist
I like smoothieboard, but what are you expecting from a new board that is different from Arduino/RAMPS?

If he's only ever used Arduino/RAMPS, then he probably doesn't know what advantages the better boards can provide. Things like:

- Digital control of stepper motor current (IMO this alone is good enough reason alone to not use RAMPS)
- A 5V voltage regulator that doesn't overheat and die at the slightest provocation
- A true USB port that supports higher data rates and has built-in flow control
- Firmware that you don't have to rebuild and re-upload every time you want to make a configuration change
- A heated bed mosfet that isn't prone to overheating (you can get these on good RAMPS boards too, if you pay enough)
- A built-in SD card socket
- An Ethernet port and web interface, which is so much nicer to use than USB-based host programs
- More processing power, which allows higher speeds on deltas (and on CoreXY machines too, unless that bug has been fixed in Marlin now)

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 26, 2015 06:47AM
Hi
Very true, I like to see the advantages of a better board. The problem is which one to get, Ramo, Smoothieboard, Duet etc.

So lets hear you comments on the board that you like.

Thanks
June 26, 2015 03:12PM
I think SmoothieBoard is the best out there right now, also probably the most expensive. The Azeteeg X5 (?) is supposedly smoothie compatible, though I think it sacrifices the Ethernet port and only has 4 drivers, so no dual hotend opportunity. There is also something like an AZMME (?) board from Aliexpress which is probably the cheapest smoothie compatible board, though I think it also lacks support for a second hotend.

I am personally looking at a Duet board from Replikeo...I can't spell for crap...to upgrade my delta machine to 32-bit someday. DC42 maintains a fork of the firmware and has put a lot of time into it. Again, I don't believe it supports a second hotend out of the box, but there is an expansion board that adds up to 4-5 stepper drivers. It also has a built in ethernet for accessing and controlling your printer remotely as opposed to having a dedicated PC or laptop connected to it.

You might also consider just a higher quality RAMPS board that supports 24V power. Though going with one of the above 32-bit options will last you longer then an 8-bit board and probably costs about the same. Unlike the Duet and Smoothieboard though, you will also need to purchase a Raspberry Pi to run OctoPi or another 3D print server if you are interested in that functionality.
June 26, 2015 04:28PM
Beaglebone Black with MachineKit and a CRAMPS board is also a good option.
June 27, 2015 04:07PM
I know I might get yelled at for this, but you should definitely consider a knockoff. In particular, the "MKS SBASE" Smoothieboard knockoff on Aliexpress. It costs $65 plus shipping, and can do everything the $150 Smoothieboard 5x can do. It's even pin-compatible, or very close.
June 28, 2015 09:32PM
I have the Duet+x4 and PanedDUE(the dev on this one takes a long time to reply to PM's though*cough* smiling smiley ) (~$122 is what I paid for Duet)
I haven't had any problems with it that I haven't caused.

As DC42 said you don't have to keep recompiling the firmware, you make almost any change though the config.g on the SD card(that can be updated though web interface). restart the Duet to take effect(also can be a sent g-code) and you're done. or send a G-code and see if you like the change before you save it to the config.g.

I'm running 3 extruders + heated chamber(on bed pins) and there maybe work being done for adding another for actual chamber heater(helps A LOT with curling ABS) in addition to a bed heater(sticking).
with some room to expand.(maybe Kraken?)

I love the ethernet- the web control has a few small issues IMO but I could also have *.cfg/slicer issues that I'm not seeing. But, you plug it in, it connects(I have the IP bookmarked), and you have control/stats/temps from anywhere without WiFi issues.

The big touch screen on the PanelDUE is great also, I can read it without my glasses. smiling smiley Its pretty great if you have a standard setup temperatures/macros(load or unload filament)/home/pause/print from SD/print estimates&details are all available at a touch.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login