Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Printing ABS without ABS juice

Posted by Kafledelius 
Printing ABS without ABS juice
May 22, 2015 05:31AM
Hello Reprappers!

I have an open printer, and i have been trying to print with ABS on a heated build plate, covered with Kapton tape.
However, IT WARPS!!!

I then tried applying some ABS juice, which obviously helped alot. But My girlfriend HATES the mess it makes (even though it's in my garage :'( )
I print at theese temperatures:
Hot end: 240 Degrees
Bed: 100 Degrees.

I have tried 110 degrees on the bed, with no luck sad smiley is there no way of printing without the ABS juice on an open printer?
Re: Printing ABS without ABS juice
May 22, 2015 06:16AM
Hi,

The best way I have found is to print with a large brim on the print.

approx 10-15mm.

It won't eliminate all warp as it is near impossible unless you print onto masking tape (your part will never come off!)

My set-up is 110* bed with Kapton. Then use a large brim on the part.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alex

NFireLabs - The World First Modular 3D Printer - At An Affordable Price!
May 22, 2015 06:59AM
Well i found that a very light mixtue of ABS juice works very well...

I actually also tried printing on a raft, also with bad results sad smiley

Guess the only way to work is with ABS juice then sad smiley
May 22, 2015 07:12AM
What is your first layer like?

I have mine set to 0.3mm, yet I have a 0.1-0.2mm gap.

The reason for this is to push the Plastic INTO the Kapton tape to help the adhesion.

Maybe try doing that?

Also setting the first layer to 200% will help.

Regards,

Alex
May 22, 2015 07:19AM
200% extrusion width?

- Well the first layer looks amazing when put down smiling smiley
- When i use a raft my slicer (simplify3d) it creates a 1.4mm raft (height) consistent of 3 layers. (2 infill and 1 solid before object)

I will try and increase the first layer.
May 22, 2015 07:32AM
ahhhh,

You need to use 'Brim' rather than 'Raft'

This should help you!
May 22, 2015 08:52AM
I print ABS right onto my glass plate with hair spray.
Small and large parts stick with no added brim or raft.
FYI I use garnier fructis extreme hold 5
May 22, 2015 09:48AM
If you are getting in a mess using ABS juice, then I think your technique is wrong. I started with a pot of Marley KS10 solvent pipe cement, which has a brush underneath the cap. This makes is easy to apply without creating a mess. As the solvent cement got used up, I topped it up with acetone, and when I didn't want it any weaker, added scraps of ABS as well.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 22, 2015 10:16AM
With ABS the larger taller parts want to warp, in extreme cases I use hairspray on glass with 4mm brim then I make a raft in my design of 2mm thick in a circle that is 33% larger than my part and so far have not had any more warping, at first I was against using this much filament to waste but after crappy large prints I decided it was totally worth it.
May 22, 2015 10:41AM
I've had great luck with purple glue stick. Put a thin layer on every couple of prints or as needed keeps it fresh, and if it builds up a little too much just wash it of with water and start over. Parts usually just pop right off when cooled down to room temperature. No aceton smell. No real mess. No problems.
May 22, 2015 10:58AM
Agreed. I have also used the purple glue stick and it worked wonders but it builds up too fast for me.
I could get about 5-8 prints before the glue layer would become uneven and give me issues with the first layer.
The hair spray on the other hand goes on real thin and I can get 10-20 prints easy before a clean.
May 22, 2015 11:40AM
I´m using bottled lemon juice to clean my glass and so far I´m happy with the result.
It cleans and leaves a thin sugar coating at the same time. ( same or better effect than hairspray )

And the smell is fresh grinning smiley
-Olaf
May 22, 2015 01:17PM
Floyd
The hair spray on the other hand goes on real thin and I can get 10-20 prints easy before a clean.
The part that is unappealing to me about hairspray is the overspray leaving a sticky residue over the print frame (or surrounding area if you remove the build plate)
May 22, 2015 02:40PM
cdru
Floyd
The part that is unappealing to me about hairspray is the overspray leaving a sticky residue over the print frame (or surrounding area if you remove the build plate)

True I do get overspray but a clean once a month or so doesnt bother me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login