Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PRINT WOOD

Posted by Ralphy 
PRINT WOOD
May 22, 2015 09:57AM
So I am looking into venturing into wood with pla filament on my prusa i3. I saw this neat article on how to create wood band looking effect by varying temps while printing, does anyone know how this actually works from a software point of view.

So far I only know the slicer software in repetier. I believe this requires a code and python software? I would appreciate some insight on how to integrate them together.

[www.thingiverse.com]

I'd also like to see any prints of those of you who have used this to generate a actual print.

Thanks
Re: PRINT WOOD
May 22, 2015 10:16AM
Well I don't use Repetier but Simplify3d and with it you just set multiple processes with different temperatures at different layer heights. But if your printer have a display, you can manually change the temperature as the part is printed.

I have printed with wood, but have not changed the temperature instead I use a little butane torch to create effects in the outer layer.
May 22, 2015 11:09AM
you can also do it with modifiers in the newest slic3rs
May 22, 2015 11:31AM
In Cura this function is called " tweak @ z"
But the butane idea I like better grinning smiley
-Olaf
May 22, 2015 01:18PM
ggherbaz
Well I don't use Repetier but Simplify3d and with it you just set multiple processes with different temperatures at different layer heights. But if your printer have a display, you can manually change the temperature as the part is printed.

I have printed with wood, but have not changed the temperature instead I use a little butane torch to create effects in the outer layer.

I like the butane idea!! There is always some genius on here thats why I love this place. Can you show us pics?
May 22, 2015 01:45PM
Does anyone know a good product that wont clog my printer. folger tech doesnt carry wood
May 22, 2015 02:01PM
I use Gizmo dorks for most of my filaments and the wood one they carry haven't give me any problems.

Regarding pictures, sorry I don't have any because are customers parts, but if I have some time this weekend I'll print a little piece (expensive filament) and take some pictures.

With the butane torch you need to be gentle and fast, you don't focused too long on a spot you do several fast passes with plenty of cooling time between them.
May 22, 2015 02:07PM
One key point is to make sure you're using a large-enough nozzle. I tried printing Laywoo with a 0.4mm nozzle and it jammed.

At least 0.5mm is required, probably larger than that to be safe.
May 22, 2015 02:23PM
I print with 0.5 without issues, but print slow for better results, and let the part cool for a while before you attempt to pull it out of the built plate.
May 22, 2015 02:28PM
ggherbaz
but print slow for better results

Some wood filaments (laywoo and colorfabb woodfill for example) degrade quickly in the hotend so maybe better not "too slow".
May 22, 2015 02:43PM
JonS
One key point is to make sure you're using a large-enough nozzle. I tried printing Laywoo with a 0.4mm nozzle and it jammed.

At least 0.5mm is required, probably larger than that to be safe.

well i have the .4mm so maybe it will jam?
May 22, 2015 07:46PM
Ralphy

It will jam!
May 22, 2015 10:16PM
JonS
Ralphy

It will jam!

DANG IT
May 23, 2015 04:19AM
What hotend do you have? Can you get different nozzle sizes for it?
May 25, 2015 01:54PM
Ralphy
DANG IT

I just saw that ColorFabb has a 30% wood filament with finer particles. While their own site says very little about it, other places claim it'll work with a 0.4mm nozzle.

However, they also say that it doesn't change color with temperature, so banding effects aren't achievable.

ColorFabb Woodfill Fine
May 25, 2015 04:44PM
You might try to create banding effects post printing.

If you use DMSO with abs wood filament, it can leach color, and some polystyrene. The rate of change would depend on the surface area exposed to the DMSO.
I haven't seen PLA wood filament, but you could use ammonia on that one. It can darken wood pulp, and get some alterations in the polymer.
May 30, 2015 12:18PM
JonS
Ralphy
DANG IT

I just saw that ColorFabb has a 30% wood filament with finer particles. While their own site says very little about it, other places claim it'll work with a 0.4mm nozzle.

However, they also say that it doesn't change color with temperature, so banding effects aren't achievable.

ColorFabb Woodfill Fine

I like this wood ...i'm not a big fan of ABS, had a bad first time experience with the beds acrylic support warping with the heat.

If I change out my nozzle to .5mm what is the potential negatives when printing my regular white PLA? Bad quality?

I could just drill out my .4mm to .5mm
May 30, 2015 10:14PM
A larger nozzle means less detail in the print, and less sharp corners.

I'm can't comment about drilling out nozzles. I've never tried that.
June 02, 2015 03:45PM
JonS
A larger nozzle means less detail in the print, and less sharp corners.

I'm can't comment about drilling out nozzles. I've never tried that.

Ok great thanks!
June 05, 2015 12:04AM
What hotend do you have? For some (e.g. E3D) swapping nozzles is easy enough that you could have one wide-ish one, like 0.6mm, for wood, and a 0.4mm for everything else.
June 05, 2015 02:05AM
Do you know about the "Wood" plugin for cura?
http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_Wood
June 05, 2015 11:06AM
GRAYWOLF
Do you know about the "Wood" plugin for cura?
http://wiki.ultimaker.com/CuraPlugin:_Wood

I tried that once. It didn't work with newer versions of Cura.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login