Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

If I had.... (a daydream)

Posted by AgeingHippy 
If I had.... (a daydream)
July 10, 2010 02:54PM
a daydream

If I had a well equipped workspace, an operating reprap and buckets of energy I would experiment with a nozzle of brass which attaches to a metal which is a poor heat conductor. The metal with the higher expansion coef screwing into the other.. but anyway, why not just heat the nozzle (say an extended bighead style with 5-10 mm melting void) and link to a low conductor which will perhaps if necessary link to PTFE/PEEK

anyone tried this? It seems obvious to me so I must be missing something?? confused smiley

Is it perhaps because of the friction?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2010 03:24PM by AgeingHippy.
Re: If I had.... (a daydream)
July 10, 2010 04:13PM
There is no such thing like a low heat conducting metal. Stainless steel is about the worst metallic heat conductor 20 W/(m*K) available. For comparison, copper has 230 W/(m*K)

If you want a poor heat conductor, you need plastics (PTFE = 0.24 W/(m*K)) or some mineral (glass (0.8 W/(m*K)), plaster (0.4 W/(m*K)), concrete (1 W/(m*K)), etc.).

All values mentioned vary somewhat by material alloying/composition, of course.

Generation 7 Electronics Teacup Firmware RepRap DIY

July 10, 2010 04:37PM
OK

so using an extended brass nozzle with a 'melt chamber', a stainless barrel attached to the plastic of your choice. Surely that would beat the copper/plastic join? I imagine it should not be too hard to machine?

Somehow the problems with extruders seem to be the hot/cold join. ??
July 10, 2010 07:01PM
Nophead had done long, thin stainless barrels; read his blog for details. It takes a lot of Q to keep one side hot and one side cold; he used very thin SS and heat sink plus fans.
July 10, 2010 08:28PM
I've built a copper nozzle, aluminum heater block, SS threaded rod heater, that I intend to mount to heatsinks, ala nophead... I expect to have trouble with it, but we'll see in a few weeks.

Al...

[araspitfire.blogspot.com]
July 11, 2010 07:52AM
So even though stainless is about 11 times worse heat conductor than brass it is still too good a conductor. Is that the gist?
July 11, 2010 08:53AM
That's the gist... SS is 100 times better heat conductor than PTFE.

Al...

[araspitfire.blogspot.com]
July 11, 2010 10:40AM
If your still interested, I covered a few of the basics of heat conduction here.

It may be worth pointing out that due to its poor thermal conduction PTFE has a very steep thermal gradient. In other words, even just a few millimetres of PTFE separating two conducting metals may be just as effective as a long stainless steel thin walled pipe.

I can tell you from first hand experience that wrapping just a few turns of PTFE (teflon) tape around the end of a pipe and then inserting it into the flared end of another pipe can act as a very effective insulation.
July 13, 2010 02:23PM
AgeingHippy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> a daydream
>
> If I had a well equipped workspace, an operating
> reprap and buckets of energy I would experiment
> with a nozzle of brass which attaches to a metal
> which is a poor heat conductor. The metal with the
> higher expansion coef screwing into the other..
> but anyway, why not just heat the nozzle (say an
> extended bighead style with 5-10 mm melting void)
> and link to a low conductor which will perhaps if
> necessary link to PTFE/PEEK
>
> anyone tried this? It seems obvious to me so I
> must be missing something?? confused smiley
>
>
> Is it perhaps because of the friction?

Friction or fiction?

Seemed obvious to me too...... I hate when somebody tells me I can't.

Never give up on a dream.

.4064 mm nozzle, 55mm/sec.

The melting void idea didn't work. I ended up using a crude representation of Nopheads superstruder tube drilled out of a plain old 1/4” bolt. I turned the the heat chamber/nozzle out of piece of 5/8” Home Depot aluminum rod. 3' for 6 bucks. Home made heat sink and a little fan and voila, no muss, no fuss, no plastic, no jams..... No replacement parts.
July 14, 2010 12:54AM
Seems to me that Ageing Hippy is thinking about the upper end of the brass ferrule being screwed into say a tapped stainless tube that also has a thread on the outside which would screw into the PTFE. Would this not reduce the heat into the PTFE to prevent it from failing???
July 14, 2010 04:45AM
Hey cluso

That is exactly what I am thinking about.

I think from the responses is that the heat conducting properties of the stainless is still too high.

Probably what would improve matters would be a PTFE washer of say 2 mm thickness between the stainless and brass. Pwerhaps even PTFE tape around the thread where the stainless and brass join to minimise the contact further....

will have to wait till I have a workspace. sad smiley
July 14, 2010 10:17AM
Perhaps ultimately the stainless would ultimately heat up to the same temp as the brass.

Guess what we really need is a ceramice threaded ferrule to go over the brass thread near the top. If a ceramic ferrule were possible how would we hold the ferrule into it? I guess epoxy would melt or even catch fire??? What uses ceramic with a 3+mm hole in it???

Edit:
Answer to ceramics... Ceramic tubes come in 3.18mm (1/8") ID and 6" lengths which can be cut to length. Gluing can be done with ceramic cement. It can be milled (tapped). [thermometricscorp.stores.yahoo.net] (doesn't have 1/8" ID but has good info)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2010 11:06AM by cluso99.
July 15, 2010 01:09AM
I wonder how accurate the inner and outer diameters are on those ceramic rods. I am envisaging a rod with a hole sized to fit the filament (1/8" would be good) enclosed within a ceramic rod whose ID matches the OD of the rod holding the filament. It says that these rods come with one end sealed, so you could machine a heater block that fitted within the larger rod and hold it in with the smaller rod that fits the filament. A 0.5mm hole in the closed end could act as the extruder nozzle.
If you used the multi-holed rods, you could even pass coolant through the holes to ensure the upper end was kept cool for as small a melt zone as possible. Controlling the melt zone so that it was within the ceramic tube should make for a reliable extruder.
Any idea how much they charge for these rods?
July 15, 2010 04:32AM
Greg: I think the idea is that the brass ferule which is 3mm OD is either remade with 3-32 (IIRC that was the tap they come with for standoffs) so that it would screw into the ceramic. That is providing we can drill the ceramic out as the standoffs have a solid between the two taps. Otherwise we have to glue the brass into the ceramic with ceramic cement. The brass rod is currently 3mm and the ceramic tubes are 3.18mm so this should work fine. The tubes seem to come in 6" lengths but can be ordered cut smaller, which is required because the tubes are not blocked at one end and you can have either. I am unsure if we can cut them or they will break. The cost appreas to be about $5 each. This may just solve our extruder problem with the PTFE breakage.

I am awaiting some replies from the manufacturers.
July 18, 2010 09:39PM
I have had good results using a stainless steel tube as the thermal transition. I described it here: [builders.reprap.org]. Please note that the TO-220 heater part of that design did not work very well. I have since gone with an aluminum body type resistor like nophead has been using.

I found a stainless tube which is barely thick enough to put a 10-32 thread on. This means that the thickness of the stainless at the bottoms of the threads is very thin. In fact if you look in the tube, you can see the threads where the die has deformed the tubing. This holds down the heat conductivity.

This means that you can screw any sort of head with a 10-32 thread onto the tubing.

fdavies
July 19, 2010 09:19PM
I just bought some glass tubing and I want to experiment with using my welding torch to shrink the tip and make the entire hot section from one piece of glass with nichrome wrapped around it. Might even be able to embed bare nichrome directly in the glass so that no electrical insulation is needed. Hopefully results in a few weeks (life keeps getting real busy around here.
July 20, 2010 02:19AM
very helpful indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login