Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oraganizing Multiple 3d printers

Posted by kpsxtyone 
Oraganizing Multiple 3d printers
May 29, 2015 03:32PM
Hi,

I am on my 2nd 3d printer and will be looking for a 3rd one. I was hoping that someone can share how they organize their printers. I just have them on the desk and it is taking a lot of space. I was thinking maybe I should start putting them on a sturdy shelf?

Please share pictures of your setup and recommendations.

They will be for multiple Prusa I3 based designs. Spools will most likely be on stands beside the printers.

Thanks !!!
Re: Oraganizing Multiple 3d printers
May 29, 2015 05:44PM
My advice is to switch to delta printers. They take up much less desk space than Cartesian printers such as the i3. I also find my delta more stable and faster for the same print quality. You can put the filament spool on the top, saving more space.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2015 05:46PM by dc42.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
May 30, 2015 06:27PM
OH, yes I second that! Please, switch to Kossel/Deltas. They are so much sexier and fewer "moving parts" to go wrong.

I couldn't imagine having more than one Prusa to babysit smiling smiley I've got mine purring now (knock on wood) and I am awaiting parts for my Mini Kossel.

After that I am building a CoreXY heavy metal machine. Industrial style with multiple independent nozzles smiling smiley
May 31, 2015 03:10PM
Thread hijack,
Which is the easiest kossel/delta to start with?
May 31, 2015 05:11PM
I am still in search of ideas on how or if any one already has multiple printer setup, organize them? Kosse/Deltas or Cartesian printers.

Pictures would help.

I could try a delta but need something where i can exchange parts if something brakes or interchange gcode already created from 1 machine to another.

Yes if ever what is the easiest Kossel/delta to start with ? i need something more on the reliability side like printing for 10 hrs long at .1 layer height with atleast 190mm length. Height is not to much of an issue for i do not print that tall.
May 31, 2015 06:20PM
I think a 2020 Kossel with Duet electronics is hard to beat for ease of building and calibration. I've just built one with 300mm printable bed diameter and 480mm printable height. I will publish details on my blog soon. But a standard Kossel XL mechanical design should meet your print size requirements. Go for 2020 extrusions though - 1515 is adequate for the Mini Kossel in my experience, but I wouldn't use it for anything larger.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

May 31, 2015 09:14PM
Hi DC42...

If you dont mind can you share your blog? I would like to try to build 1 Kossel with a min 200mm build area but with your 300 it would be interesting to have one to try.

Which Head have you been using for reliable PLA prints.
June 01, 2015 03:05AM
kpsxtyone
Hi DC42...

If you dont mind can you share your blog? I would like to try to build 1 Kossel with a min 200mm build area but with your 300 it would be interesting to have one to try.

Which Head have you been using for reliable PLA prints.

I have sent you a link to my draft blog entry by PM.

I have been using the jhead hot end that came with my original Mini Kossel kit for both PLA and ABS prints. It prints well, but when the printer is idle it oozes a lot more than the nozzles on my Ormerod. I plan to try an E3D V6 or possibly a Chimera soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 03:05AM by dc42.

June 01, 2015 10:56AM
I have now published my blog entry on building at large(ish) delta printer. It's at [miscsolutions.wordpress.com].

June 01, 2015 01:09PM
Is there a beginners guide to scratch building one with recommended parts for printing!
June 01, 2015 02:45PM
GRAYWOLF
Is there a beginners guide to scratch building one with recommended parts for printing!

I have tried to cover the points that are not a standard Kossel build, and I have linked to most of the printed parts - let me know of any that I have missed. The effector and extruder printed parts I am using are from the Think3DPrint3D Mini Kossel kit and can be found at [github.com]. Assembly instructions for those parts can be found via the Documentation tab of [www.think3dprint3d.com].

HTH - dc42

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2015 02:45PM by dc42.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login