Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Geeetech is crass crap

Posted by stevereno30 
Geeetech is crass crap
May 30, 2015 10:30AM
I'm looking to warn people about the Shenzhen-based company Geeetech. Rather than sit here and bad-mouth them, let me tell you a story about my experience with this company...

I purchased their MkV J head clone earlier this winter. I couldn't understand why it would be low quality since it hit every benchmark that real j-heads hit other than the vent hole number and shape. It has a nice thick PTFE liner held in place by a drilled set screw. It has an aluminum heater block with the thermistor mounting hole right next to the nozzle.

Coming from China to the US, it took a very long time to get my hands on the hot end, so when it did arrive three weeks later, I installed it immediately. My first print did not complete successfully, but that was to be expected. At least that is what I thought. The hot end came assembled, so I disassembled it to see what happened. The PTFE liner was not pressed against the heater block barrel, so PLA oozed out and created a nice little jam. Frustrated, I cleaned it out, then reassembled the hot end, this time tightening the set screw extra tight, and tried again.

Nothing. It would not print. Fast forward two weeks and half a spool of PLA, I still wasn't able to get it to work. I contacted Geeetech to see what they thought, and they told me (in very confusing sentences) that their hardware was not at fault. I ordered the just-released E3D lite6 at this time, and when it arrived (three days later), I swapped the Geeetech j-head out. The lite6's first print was beautiful.

I told Geeetech this, and they still refused to admit the hot end was faulty. I sent them photos of manufacturing defects on their hot end, images of it extruding at angles, anything I could think of. After a 20-message long email conversation, they offered me a $10 refund. $10! I couldn't believe it! They sent me a non-functioning piece of junk, and the best they could offer was a 40% refund?

Since that offer, any message I have sent to any email address attached to that company has been ignored.

DO NOT BUY GEEETECH. If you happen to get a functioning part (which is a gamble), you might not have a bad experience, but if you do buy anything non-functioning, prepare to butt up against the worst customer service imaginable.

Does anyone else have any experience with this crooked company? Bad or good, I want to hear about it.
Re: Geeetech is crass crap
May 30, 2015 12:16PM
As with everything from China, you pays your money, you takes your chance.....
May 30, 2015 01:02PM
Sometimes you get what you pay for, but you NEVER get what you don't pay for.
May 30, 2015 01:36PM
stevereno30
I'm looking to warn people about the Shenzhen-based company Geeetech. Rather than sit here and bad-mouth them, let me tell you a story about my experience with this company...

I purchased their MkV J head clone earlier this winter. I couldn't understand why it would be low quality since it hit every benchmark that real j-heads hit other than the vent hole number and shape. It has a nice thick PTFE liner held in place by a drilled set screw. It has an aluminum heater block with the thermistor mounting hole right next to the nozzle.

Coming from China to the US, it took a very long time to get my hands on the hot end, so when it did arrive three weeks later, I installed it immediately. My first print did not complete successfully, but that was to be expected. At least that is what I thought. The hot end came assembled, so I disassembled it to see what happened. The PTFE liner was not pressed against the heater block barrel, so PLA oozed out and created a nice little jam. Frustrated, I cleaned it out, then reassembled the hot end, this time tightening the set screw extra tight, and tried again.

Nothing. It would not print. Fast forward two weeks and half a spool of PLA, I still wasn't able to get it to work. I contacted Geeetech to see what they thought, and they told me (in very confusing sentences) that their hardware was not at fault. I ordered the just-released E3D lite6 at this time, and when it arrived (three days later), I swapped the Geeetech j-head out. The lite6's first print was beautiful.

I told Geeetech this, and they still refused to admit the hot end was faulty. I sent them photos of manufacturing defects on their hot end, images of it extruding at angles, anything I could think of. After a 20-message long email conversation, they offered me a $10 refund. $10! I couldn't believe it! They sent me a non-functioning piece of junk, and the best they could offer was a 40% refund?

Since that offer, any message I have sent to any email address attached to that company has been ignored.

DO NOT BUY GEEETECH. If you happen to get a functioning part (which is a gamble), you might not have a bad experience, but if you do buy anything non-functioning, prepare to butt up against the worst customer service imaginable.

Does anyone else have any experience with this crooked company? Bad or good, I want to hear about it.

not too surprised this is an experience that a lot of people go through regularly not only with geeetech but with a lot of other counterfeit hotend suppliers as well , for the jhead there is a carefully maintained reprap.org wiki page which specifies genuine sellers of the jhead jhead wiki page , this is one of a couple of companies who have been removed from the supplier lists on the wiki due to many bad experiences with not only the hotends they sell but also some of the electronics

-=( blog )=- -=( thingiverse )=- -=( 3Dindustries )=- -=( Aluhotend - mostly metal hotend)=--=( Facebook )=-

May 30, 2015 04:15PM
thejollygrimreaper
this is one of a couple of companies who have been removed from the supplier lists on the wiki

I feel like it would make sense to put them back in the wiki with explicit "do not buy" warnings. I mean, a forum post that says to be wary of Chinese knock offs is one thing, but a wiki post that says to be wary of Geeetech (and other brands) might save more people from making my mistake. However, it would take a truly cheap person to pick a $30 j-head from Chinese company who's slogan is "Get your ideas come to life!" over the E3D Lite6 for $38 shipped.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 04:16PM by stevereno30.
May 30, 2015 06:32PM
But to be honest, it could have been a fluke. There are tons of people (myself included) that bought the $85 E3D V6 but had constant jamming issues. I still cant print with it. So I'm using my $20 jhead.

But the customer service is inexcusable

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2015 06:33PM by thetazzbot.
May 31, 2015 01:35PM
Over the years (I fly RC aircraft as well as my 3D printing hobby) I've bought Chinese junk, Japanese junk, American junk and many others. The one main difference I've found between the more expensive products and the cheaper "junk" is the quality of the customer service. Yes, some of the cheap knockoffs aren't worth the money even at the reduced price but some of it was actually quite good. Some of the expensive items had poor customer service. On the RC side of things I purchased a Chinese knockoff that performed very well and lasted quite a long time. Later I purchased the American version that one was copied from and after a minor problem and dealing with the most excellent customer service of the American company, I vowed never to make the mistake of just buying on price alone. I was very impressed with the US company's customer service and over time found out they were well known for that. Had I done my research, I would have known why I was spending the extra money. Some companies actually give you something for your money instead of just sticking it in their proverbial pockets. I now try to find "Quality" companies to do business with instead of just shopping on price alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 01:37PM by Jezmo.
May 31, 2015 02:33PM
try the geeetech forums..
May 31, 2015 02:40PM
I say this because they seem more likely to help out and send stuff out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login