Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Filing parts without leaving a mark

Posted by foul_owl 
Filing parts without leaving a mark
May 30, 2015 09:17PM
Hi folks,

I have a set of grey metal files that I've been using to clean up parts and remove brims. However, they leave a nasty gray mark where ever they are used. Soap and water does not remove the mark. Filament is white ABS.

Anyone use anything that doesn't leave a mark? Maybe a dremel bit perhaps?

Thanks!!
Re: Filing parts without leaving a mark
May 30, 2015 09:27PM
I use an hobby knife and scrape it across the part.
May 31, 2015 02:11AM
I use an exacto knife for small stuff like chamfering.

greghoge.com

HUGE 3D PRINTER PARTS SALE!!!
May 31, 2015 04:09AM
Some guys mentioned using acetone to smooth their ABS parts. Maybe use a knife for the brim, then acetone?
-Olaf
May 31, 2015 07:59AM
With white PLA, I use some medium/fine wet sandpaper sheet to remove those marks, and I never use that sheet to sand other PLA colors.
May 31, 2015 08:12AM
First rule of files
NEVER back file, Always use the file in one direction and when you reach the end of the stroke, lift the file, and put the file back on the piece on the start of the file!
After you have cleaned it up (and have the dreaded white dust everywhere then use something like the acetone vapour bath afterwards.

DON"T use a Dremel, they are too fast and too aggressive on ABS.
Are the files Dirty?
DO you clean them with a wire brush to remove dirt between the teeth?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2015 08:14AM by GRAYWOLF.
May 31, 2015 01:30PM
Today I tried a different approach.
Printed PLA parts with brim => cut off brim with scissors=> use cigaret lighter around the bottom => perfectly smooth edges grinning smiley

Try at your own risk
-Olaf
May 31, 2015 11:05PM
Just thought I would add this in here. I use small diamond files, unlike regular files they are not directional and are basically diamond sandpaper on a metal stick. My kit of them came with 5 shapes for around $12 on ebay and I use them daily. Something like this [www.ebay.com]
May 31, 2015 11:20PM
Thanks folks!! I'll try all of those suggestions. Very helpful smiling smiley
May 31, 2015 11:43PM
I know the marks you are talking about. I have a small lighter-fueled torch that I use to get rid of them. Once I have everything filed and smooth, I then use the torch in quick moves over the surface. It remelts the PLA and smooths it back out. ((A regular lighter will work. That said, the higher temp of a torch and the precision of the heat applied, makes the torch the right tool for the job.

Also in a pinch a soldering iron run across the edges of a print will flatten out the brim line.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login