Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best $500 3d printer?

Posted by fatesalign 
Best $500 3d printer?
June 11, 2015 09:53PM
Hello everyone. I have looked and looked for 3d printers, and I figured it might be best to just ask here. What do you think is the best 3d printer for around $500? I don't want it to have proprietary filament. I want it to be pretty sturdy so it lasts a while (maybe a metal frame). Really just what you consider to be the best bang for my buck at that price. Decent electronics etc. Thank you for any answers. I'm looking at a MakerFarm i3v, and I was wondering what you thought about that. I was also wondering the benefits of the Delta or Mendel 90 to the i3.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2015 10:17PM by fatesalign.
Re: Best $500 3d printer?
June 11, 2015 10:20PM
[wanhaousa.com]

All metal frame
June 11, 2015 10:36PM
Jason_WI
[wanhaousa.com]

All metal frame
I did see them, and I think that's really interesting. I'm just in a big debate between that and the MakerFarm i3v. It's layer height is 50 microns, which is pretty amazing. It's a tough decision. I really like how they use the v-slot linear rail.
June 12, 2015 10:09AM
The wanhou is a better looking printer and it uses lead screws not threaded rod for the z axis. PS Anyone can claim 50 micron. Can you measure it?

Wanhou $429, much better looking, electronics and PS enclosed in its own case. Win!
June 12, 2015 03:11PM
Sorry to hijack, anyone had any experience with the Wanhao duplicator i3? that is ridiculously cheap....
June 12, 2015 05:49PM
thetazzbot
The wanhou is a better looking printer and it uses lead screws not threaded rod for the z axis. PS Anyone can claim 50 micron. Can you measure it?

Wanhou $429, much better looking, electronics and PS enclosed in its own case. Win!
It still uses a threaded rod and the computer can measure 50 microns when you try to print with it. Are you joking?

I really like those v rods on the makerfarm.

The replicator used to only be 375. I just dont understand how they could be so cheap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 05:53PM by fatesalign.
June 12, 2015 06:03PM
The vrail just seems way more sturdy than the rods.
June 12, 2015 06:09PM
My main issue is that I bought a cheap i3 and the stupid part where the usb b goes in broke. It was so cheap. I just want something with quality parts and electronics that will last.
June 12, 2015 07:21PM
Wilson TS
June 12, 2015 07:21PM
Almost all printer kits use cheap Arduino/RAMPS clone electronics. Have you considered building your own printer from parts using a mature standard design as a basis? I recently published a blog entry on building a large delta printer - maybe it will give you some inspiration.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

Disclosure: I design Duet electronics and work on RepRapFirmware, [duet3d.com].
June 12, 2015 07:22PM
Almost all printer kits use cheap Arduino/RAMPS clone electronics. Have you considered building your own printer from parts using a mature standard design as a basis? I recently published a blog entry on building a large delta printer - maybe it will give you some inspiration.

Large delta printer [miscsolutions.wordpress.com], E3D tool changer, Robotdigg SCARA printer, Crane Quad and Ormerod

June 12, 2015 07:22PM
Deleted duplicate post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/2015 07:23PM by dc42.

June 12, 2015 07:50PM
I've thought about it, but I'm just worried that I'll screw something up. I don't know. It's probably between a delta or the makerfarm i3. The Makerfarm has really good reviews and comes with a hexagon hot end. The only thing is that I don't know of a decent delta for around 500.
July 06, 2015 12:10PM
fatesalign
thetazzbot

It still uses a threaded rod and the computer can measure 50 microns when you try to print with it. Are you joking?

I really like those v rods on the makerfarm.

The replicator used to only be 375. I just dont understand how they could be so cheap.

Let's see.

Wanhou $429 all steel frame, lead screws. .1mm layer height. this part doesn't make sense to me, but it is what they advertise.
Makerfarm i3v $650 plywood frame threaded rod. .05mm layer height.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can throw in a deciding vote here. But I'd go with common sense on that one.

also, I was referring to "can you measure the output", i.e. hold a pair of digital calipers to a print. It's painfully difficult to [manually] measure something .05 mm smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 12:17PM by thetazzbot.
July 06, 2015 02:45PM
thetazzbot
also, I was referring to "can you measure the output", i.e. hold a pair of digital calipers to a print. It's painfully difficult to [manually] measure something .05 mm smiling smiley
Print an object. Quit printing half way through a layer. Measure the difference between the unfinished side vs the finished side. Or measure your first layer. Or measure finished part divide by the number of layers printed.

In reality, it doesn't matter what incremental layer heights are. Are the sides as smooth and consistent as they can be? Is the overall dimensions what was designed? That's what the important thing are.
July 06, 2015 04:18PM
cdru
thetazzbot
Print an object. Quit printing half way through a layer. Measure the difference between the unfinished side vs the finished side. Or measure your first layer. Or measure finished part divide by the number of layers printed.

In reality, it doesn't matter what incremental layer heights are. Are the sides as smooth and consistent as they can be? Is the overall dimensions what was designed? That's what the important thing are.

Agreed.

So when some company selling "build it yourself" kits are advertising "50 micron resolution", they are leaving out a whoooollllleeeeee lot of variables required to attain that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login