Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I test printed ABS on a cold bed....and it worked

Posted by thetazzbot 
I test printed ABS on a cold bed....and it worked
June 20, 2015 02:05AM
Ha! It worked! Printing ABS on a cold bed. Well, the part I'm printing is 2 inch by 1 inch, so as soon as it's done im going to try something bigger but I know it will work.

I am using DAP Contact Cement, a light coat on glass. Works like a champ. Almost too good, if you use too much it is hard to get off, but heat up the bed when you're done or use a hair dryer on the back side (careful not to crack the glass) and the parts should pop off, or twist off is easier.

Btw you can thin it with Xylene. Acetone does something funky to it...makes it ball up.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 02:07AM by thetazzbot.
Re: I test printed ABS on a cold bed....and it worked
June 20, 2015 02:30AM
Did you have to change any other parameter?
Did you wait for it to dry? They say it takes 15-20min. Would it help to heat the plate while drying? Or would that mess up the surface when cooling down for print to start?

[www.dap.com]
With Xylene ( what´s that anyways? ) you can clean the glass afterwards? Or do you heat the bed and peel it off?
-Olaf
June 20, 2015 02:51AM
First few prints were on heated bed, then i turned off the heater to test on a cold bed. I upped my speed but only because i was curious what i could max it out at.

At 100mm/s i think i need to up the extrusion multiplier. But at 75 it was perfect.

No other settings changed.

Yes let it dry. Nice thing is it is very tough stuff and you wont need to re apply it often.

Can be a monster to remove if you put too much. Going to buy some xylene tomorrow and thin it out.

With dollar store glass from frames you could have a ready supply to swap out and keep printing.

I also have larger pieces of glass from some scanners i scrapped, its a bit thicker too.

Cleaning the glass? Who does that winking smiley

More test results tomorrow.

ABS on cold bed video

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2015 02:56AM by thetazzbot.
June 21, 2015 02:08PM
Turns out that stuff is either too sticky or too messy, also, has some strong fumes. so it is a no go.
June 21, 2015 05:28PM
Anyone can print with ABS on an unheated bed. It just has to be the right material.

I have printed on unheated PIR foam which sells for <$0.50/sq ft. at home improvement stores. PIR foam is fire retardant (PIR fire retardant) and does not break down chemically at extruder nozzle temperatures. You don't need to level it, either. You just bury the nozzle about 1mm into the surface of the foam and print on a raft. You can print on one piece multiple times by adjusting the Z offset in slicing software.

Printing on PIR foam

Does it stick?

Hell yes!

No messy glue or other slop required.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2015 05:29PM by the_digital_dentist.
June 21, 2015 07:01PM
That's certainly an interesting result. Do you have a link for the foam? I tried browsing the homedepot.ca website but I couldn't identify a PIR product. Perhaps it goes by a trade name? Being able to print without a heated bed certainly simplifies things and reduces costs, especially for larger print areas where the power requirements start getting significant. When you printed the skull, did you have another heat source to keep the chamber temperature above ambient, or was it just the heat from the print head? Without the bed heat I'm kind of surprised it didn't warp and split, although I suppose the roughly spherical shape is probably least susceptible to that.
June 21, 2015 07:19PM
PIR at Home Depot

The skull was printed without an enclosure. Yes, printing medium to large objects in ABS would benefit from a heated enclosure to prevent warping and delamination.
June 21, 2015 07:27PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like the Canadian home depot doesn't stock that, or any other polyisocyanurate foam. I'm guessing a difference in the building regs.
June 21, 2015 09:59PM
JamesK
Thanks for the link. Looks like the Canadian home depot doesn't stock that, or any other polyisocyanurate foam. I'm guessing a difference in the building regs.

FWIW, Home Depot's web site does not show it as available in any NY stores that I checked. It *is* available in NJ, though.....
June 21, 2015 10:16PM
June 21, 2015 10:29PM
Thanks. I also discovered some sort of pir is available at home hardware and Lowe's. Home hardware's crazy website won't give prices, Lowe's is about twice what the USA home depot shows for the same product. Such is life.
June 21, 2015 10:34PM
In case anyone has never heard of them before, Menards is a midwest home improvement chain that has an involvement with NASCAR sponsorships. Funny association since they don't have stores in the south (NASCAR country), west of the plains, or east coast.....
July 02, 2015 06:50AM
helo, This is my new invention https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKPSPVvFFCQ simply, easy and clean

best regards
Martin
July 02, 2015 10:50AM
What is it then, cause like 99 percent of this earth can not read polish....
July 02, 2015 10:54AM
I don't think the video shows ABS printing. That large an object printed without an enclosure would have delamination problems.
July 02, 2015 11:04AM
ABS - 100%, This is sticker on the table, My new solution to the problem with printing- greetings from Poland

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2015 03:42AM by badman.
July 02, 2015 03:30PM
Vinyl sticker... Can buy them at craft stores. Aka sign vinyl. Not a bad idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 03:30PM by thetazzbot.
July 02, 2015 03:46PM
this is not a vinyl sticker...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 03:46PM by badman.
July 02, 2015 05:27PM
Well then explain what it is
July 02, 2015 05:27PM
Duplicate...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 05:27PM by thetazzbot.
July 02, 2015 11:26PM
What did you use?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2015 11:29PM by slanwar.
July 03, 2015 03:14AM
badman
ABS - 100%, This is sticker on the table, My new solution to the problem with printing from Poland

Didn't know that printing from Poland was a real issue ?

Thought it would be printing with ABS so spill it instead off keeping it mysterious, and if you don't want to share it then say : I don't want to share.....
So give back to the communitie from which im sure you got a lot of stuff already and share your secret formula.
July 04, 2015 01:59AM
Wow! Hey DD did you leave the skin on that? In the old days we knew that as "Celotex". used for home exterior insulation.
July 04, 2015 08:13AM
No, the foil/paper is peeled off (look at the videos previously linked), and yes, the stuff is apparently still sold under that name in the UK.
July 04, 2015 08:50PM
Thank you sir.
July 06, 2015 04:50AM
the_digital_dentist
No, the foil/paper is peeled off (look at the videos previously linked), and yes, the stuff is apparently still sold under that name in the UK.

So you say the stuff he is using on his bed is PIR?

I mean that normally PIR sheets are pretty thick, and this looks like an very thin foil like thing maybe a few mm as maximum

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 04:56AM by Weedz.
July 06, 2015 08:13AM
No that isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying I was printing on an unheated foam bed two years ago, and you and anyone else can too. It's no special breakthrough. Stratasys has been printing on unheated foam for 20+ years.

I don't know why badman posted his stuff with no further info, and when others were engaged in a game of 20 questions with him he provided no further info. If he actually was printing with ABS, I'd say his real breakthrough was preventing the object from delaminating.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2015 08:19AM by the_digital_dentist.
July 06, 2015 08:27AM
Ah ok that's what I thought because it know the PIR trick (even from your website I think), but this looked like something else.
Could it be that its not delaminating because he is printing it single walled? or he has a really warm home smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login