Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Xaphoon pocket saxofone anyone?

Posted by o_lampe 
Xaphoon pocket saxofone anyone?
June 22, 2015 06:01AM
Hi,
I once had an original Maui bamboo pocket sax, called Xaphoon.
[www.youtube.com]
A nice little instrument to practice everywhere / anytime
Now they are available in ABS and I wondered if it would be possible to print it?
Maybe in two pieces?
-Olaf
Re: Xaphoon pocket saxofone anyone?
June 23, 2015 11:11AM
That is a great video - I like that guy's workshop.

Thingiverse seems to have everything you need (and more) to piece together a 3D printed Xaphoon:
to name just a few examples.
June 23, 2015 11:49AM
MattMoses
That is a great video - I like that guy's workshop.
He reminded me of Roy Underhill if he was a surfer/beach bum.
June 23, 2015 01:18PM
I´m already printing a tenor sax mouthpiece from thingiverse.
Using the recorder as reference might work, but the xaphoon also has some "secret" extra holes to make a few more notes playable.

I think of HIPS as filament, because the reed-face and tip will surely need some smoothing and lemon acid sounds better than acetone for ABS ( where is the puke smilie?)
-Olaf
August 10, 2018 04:07AM
That necroposting..

However - I was searching for xaphoon as well - and found a very similar model here, made in 2016 - [www.thingiverse.com]
Only difference i've noticed is that mouthpiece is in more saxophone shape -contrary to the round shape of the xaphoon.
Body, however, seems to be very close to original design. Hope it will help somebody.
August 11, 2018 02:44AM
I thought of printing a Xaphoon, but found they are already cloned. Don't remember the price, but it was way less than the original ABS Xaphoon. It plays pretty good, has a 'breezy' sound. It's always with me when I travel.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login