Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Connectors

Posted by ntar827 
Connectors
June 28, 2015 07:01PM
Purchased stepper motors and they came without end connectors.

Where can I buy the four wire connectors required to connect to my circuit board?

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2015 07:12PM by ntar827.
Re: Connectors
June 28, 2015 10:34PM
In Salt Lake City, Utah(USA) I usually go to a place called Ra-Elco... they are messy, but cheap, and a few of their guys REALLY know their stuff. its my goto when I can just walk in the door and show them "I need -this-" they usually have it or know where I can get it. the MOLEX connectors are cheap, I think the tool to crimp the ends on the wires to insert into the plastic block is ~$60 ... if I recall correctly MOLEX is a brand name of the type of connetor, this is one entry I found for NEMA17 harnesses.

Connector housing
51103-0600 (MOLEX, Positive lock type)
or
51102-0600 (MOLEX, Friction lock type)

Contact
50351-8100 (MOLEX)

Crimp tool
57295-5000 (MOLEX)

on the online pawn shop/hub for stolen goods(ebay) i found one guy selling them for ~$6 ea.
June 29, 2015 12:19AM
You want the connectors that plug into the board? What board do you have? If it's a RAMPS, then you want dupont connectors. They can be found cheaply on ebay, but for a reasonable price, Pololu sells them. You can get the connectors here. As the previous post suggested, you can crimp your own ends onto the wires, but I like to buy pre-crimped wires, also from Pololu.
June 29, 2015 01:25PM
Might I suggest that you solder your motor wires to the ramps board.

Sounds crazy, I know, but not as crazy as a motor stalling because it shook that cheap connector loose from the board...

I'm soldering all my connections now, unless I have screw terminals.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 11:48PM by thetazzbot.
June 30, 2015 04:49AM
You can find the right cables searching for a Ramps wiring kit on some online market places (ebay, aliexpress...). These cables are never sent with motors, they are usually sent with a complete Ramps kit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2015 04:52AM by kimented_.

Prusa i3 - e3d v5 - Gnu/Linux - Pronterface - Slic3r - Octoprint - Rpi - French
June 30, 2015 10:14AM
thetazzbot
Sounds crazy, I know, but not as crazy as a motor stalling because it shook that cheap ass connector loose from the board...

Interesting point. The vibration from the printer qualifies as a harsh environment for electronics so the normal options are either mechanical isolation or hardening. Hardening would include latching connectors and encapsulation. Latching connectors would be nice, but the larger footprint makes retrofitting unlikely. Full encapsulation is probably not desirable - it negates the modularity that's one of the benefits of a RAMPS setup. You could take the cheap and cheerful approach and use a dab of hot glue on the connectors. It's reasonably effective as long as the environment doesn't run too hot, and reversible (if messy) with a hot air gun. Personally, I think I'll go the mechanical isolation route by putting the electronics in a separate enclosure not mounted to the printer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login