Painters tape too good! Less adhesion?
June 28, 2015 09:11PM
So in general this is probably a good problem to have, but things are sticking too well to painters tape. Difficult to get print off without peeling the tape up itself. This is even with a razor blade

-Any ideas how to make it slightly less adhesive? Find a happy medium?

Currently printing at PLA at 180-190, 0 bed temp (26 is room).
Re: Painters tape too good! Less adhesion?
June 28, 2015 10:19PM
I call 'too good' when I destroy the part trying to get it off the printbed. You could be a little bit too close or extruding a little too much on your first layer... if you print without a raft etc. and scrape the side of your part with your fingernail and feel a lip/ledge/bump on the last layer it could be either at a glance.

But... tape is cheap, if thats the only issue you have if you get it wet with water it will come off your part. buy a contractors pack if you don't know a painter (4-5 full rolls of 2" blue painters tape(3M brand) for... I think ~$15, I haven't been through 1 yet) I will probably try 'bullfrog' i think it was... essentialy 'green' painters tape(its a little less sticky) next time...
June 29, 2015 01:48AM
I print on paintertape at 45°C and when it cools down by 10-15°C, I can peel it off much easier.
-Olaf
June 29, 2015 04:06PM
Epop
I call 'too good' when I destroy the part trying to get it off the printbed. You could be a little bit too close or extruding a little too much on your first layer... if you print without a raft etc. and scrape the side of your part with your fingernail and feel a lip/ledge/bump on the last layer it could be either at a glance.

But... tape is cheap, if thats the only issue you have if you get it wet with water it will come off your part. buy a contractors pack if you don't know a painter (4-5 full rolls of 2" blue painters tape(3M brand) for... I think ~$15, I haven't been through 1 yet) I will probably try 'bullfrog' i think it was... essentialy 'green' painters tape(its a little less sticky) next time...

Yeah you are probably right, better to have too much then too little. I will check the distance again.

I print on paintertape at 45°C and when it cools down by 10-15°C, I can peel it off much easier.
-Olaf

Interesting idea, I guess I always heard the no heat with tape rule. But I guess that was do to losing adhesion, which might be what I want. In the end I think I would only want less adhesion when there is a lot of surface area contacting on the first layer. So perhaps for those I increase the bed heat a bit like you did, but on small surface area first layer prints keep it as is.

thanks for the ideas
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login