Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What is the biggest repstrap?

Posted by noobcake 
Re: What is the biggest repstrap?
August 10, 2010 02:25AM
Hi cluso99

I live in a little futher north in Brisbane.

regards

Stephen
August 11, 2010 10:36PM
Hi

Some pictures of the reprap as promised

regards

Stephen
Attachments:
open | download - Push_the_button.JPG (93.5 KB)
open | download - top.JPG (109.9 KB)
open | download - x_axis_direct_drive.JPG (88.2 KB)
open | download - z_motor.JPG (56.2 KB)
August 13, 2010 04:14AM
Well, I ripped apart my makerbot and started on my repstrap already ^__^

I am kind of limited in space and I can't make it as huge as I first was going to...so after $150 more of supplies... I am now shooting for a 1' cubed build volume area. here is it's progress so far....that is the x axis.

I am going with a sliding bed gantry style.... the good thing about additive is there are almost no forces to worry about except it's own weight it's not like I have to worry about trying to drill into anything (like a subtractive CNC) so this design will work well and I'll maybe get 12"x 14+" x 14+" smiling smiley

Also another question for those of you who have made a large repstrap: what did you do about a custom large heated build platform (for those that have done it)? Please post pics grinning smiley

Yes, I've seen all the ones in the wiki...and I am not going to go through that much trouble I don't have a whole machine shop all I have is a CNC o__O . But I would like to see some new/different heated build platform ideas of people who have made custom platforms for our large 12+"x12+" please.

I am probably going to have to find an online metal supplier and just get a X by X size metal sheet (i don't know if I want to go with aluminum/copper and (attempt to) drill the holes myself...or maybe try and buy/find a steel/iron supplier who will drill holes for me..because I can't) and just ni-chrome wire it to a power supply with a simple circuit(arduino) & LCD...not sure yet. I bought a laser thermometer to help me test though but it hasn't arrived yet grinning smiley But I still would like to see if anybody came up with a really good large heated platform idea that isn't that hard to make.

Thanks!
August 13, 2010 10:10PM
Also another question for those of you who have made a large repstrap: what did you do about a custom large heated build platform (for those that have done it)? Please post pics grinning smiley

Well, there's [[Heated_WolfBed]], by Stoffel15, one of our leading developers. (Page went up August 10)
http://reprap.org/wiki/Heated_WolfBed
And the german-to-english translation
That's 230mm by 230 mm, 9" x 9".

Please post pics
Please let us library gnomes know if you have any trouble uploading images to the wiki or creating new wiki pages. smiling bouncing smiley
(It really helps.)

I am probably going to have to find an online metal supplier and just get a X by X size metal sheet (i don't know if I want to go with aluminum/copper and (attempt to) drill the holes myself...or maybe try and buy/find a steel/iron supplier who will drill holes for me ... because I can't
Noobcake, we've got some folk with machining jobshop stuff in the marketplace forum over in
Home > RepRap Marketplace and Job Shop > Wanted

Want to tack up a napkin sketch in the wiki and post a query in the wanted forum?

Although I'd start with the local yellow pages telephone directory under "machine shop" and find a place that does tiny one-off jobs. That's the best way.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
August 15, 2010 06:10PM
Hi noobcake

You said
I ripped apart my makerbot and started on my repstrap already

Why?
I wpuld have thought a backup system would be a good idea.
I cant count the amount of times I have broken my 3d printer and needed a plastic part to repair it.

Any way. Good luck noobcake.

Stephen
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login