Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Project Help....3D Printer and CNC Combined

Posted by Chaser30 
Project Help....3D Printer and CNC Combined
July 08, 2015 05:35AM
Ok, so I have a lot of bits and pieces left over from my many CNC and 3D printer builds (mainly V-Slot) So I am thinking of building a 3D Printer, CNC, Laser Combo. So after going through many forums and builds, it seems that using the RAMPS board to do all has some issues. I cant seem to find
a clear instruction or code that will enable me to set up the RAMPS board for this project (unless someone can direct me to a site they know may help) The BuildBot uses multiple power supplies, but the unit i am building is small and portable. Here is one thing I came across and want to know if possible. Basically I mount 2 boards, a CNC Shield V3 and a Ramps 1.4 Board. Now apparantly I can run both both boards from the same power supply in a way by switching power from one board to another depending on what mode i go in (Obviously have an on/off swith before just changing over between the 2 boards) Then its a matter of plugging in the USB into the board I am using. Can I run the motors (Nema 17) parallel between the boards??? I have also seen the PiBot Board that can run both 3D printer and CNC. Has anyone had experience with this board that runs a Combo CNC and 3D printer, and was wondering if the PiBot board only works with Pibot Motor Drivers, or can I use alternative drivers. Thanks in advance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2015 06:22AM by Chaser30.
Re: Project Help....3D Printer and CNC Combined
July 08, 2015 09:43PM
Beaglebone Black with MachineKit would probably work for all of the different operations.
July 12, 2015 07:04PM
Thanks etfranch. Another option was a Extruder Controller V2.2, It runs the hot end and stepper motor for the extruder when powered up. This may be what I am looking for to add a hotend and motor when changing from CNC to 3D printer. Anyone had any experience with these boards with Ardunio boards.
VDX
July 13, 2015 06:53AM
... I'm actually developing a 'combo' for different CNC-applications including: (solder-) paste dipensing, laser-engraving, 3D-printing, SLS and eventually CNC-milling too winking smiley

One of the related threads in the RepRap-forums is in the German RUG - [forums.reprap.org]

But if wished, I can start an English thread too ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
July 13, 2015 07:31AM
Thanks Viktor. I managed to translate into english, but i am sure an english version will also be handy. A very stylish unit I must say and impressive video. I would be keen to see how you manage to get the electronics together for all the functions. I have searched and searched, and finding it hard to find out how to connect the Extruder Controller V2.2 to an Ardunio Development board and programming environment that runs an existing 4 axis setup. The best I have found is how to flash the board,? Will keep looking. Great work Viktor!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login