Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Self replication

Posted by Bootstrap Bill 
Self replication
July 26, 2010 02:11PM
At the current rate of progress, how long do you think it will be until we have a device like the RepRap that is capable of fully replicating itself? Is that the ultimate goal of the RepRap project?
Re: Self replication
July 26, 2010 02:26PM
At the current rate of progress, how long do you think it will be until we have a device like the RepRap that is capable of fully replicating itself?

Unknown. And impossible to model. People start waving their hands and talking about nanotech.

It depends quite a bit on definitions, and if we're thinking about fabricating microchips, a self-drilling Eiffel, grey goo, bush robots, or a trained rabbit with a hot glue gun. (Rabbits are good self-replicators.) smiling bouncing smiley

Is that the ultimate goal of the RepRap project?

Yup. But things like Mendel or WolfStrap-English help us get there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 02:55PM by SebastienBailard.

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
July 26, 2010 08:37PM
At the current rate of progress it will be a long time, but a lot of people came onboard this past year so I expect the rate of progress will improve by quite a lot next year.

Darwin clone, Gen 2 electronics, Arduino Duemilanove w/ AtMega328, 5D Firmware, Pinchwheel extruder
[www.codeerrors.com]
VDX
July 27, 2010 03:19PM
... i think i'm one of the most advanced here in respect of micro- and nanoassembly, mixed/smart materials, 'fabbing' electronics, and some other essentially methods for "real self-replication" ...

My bet is something between 10 and 40 years with the actual rate of progress in relevant themes.

Maybe even the biotech-gurus will beat us in this with an organic approach, where artificial molecules will self-assemble to form complex parts and structures, you can combine lego-like for specific hardware ...

Viktor
--------
Aufruf zum Projekt "Müll-freie Meere" - [reprap.org] -- Deutsche Facebook-Gruppe - [www.facebook.com]

Call for the project "garbage-free seas" - [reprap.org]
JSR
July 28, 2010 04:20AM
My estimation would be all the mechanics being RP parts in less than 5 years - see the possibilities of Sarrus linkages - here is a link on thingiverse - or rack and pin.

However the electronics are much trickier - we need some complex metallic components. the closest thing to rp motor I have seen is this one. I think this could take closer to 20 years to get something practical, very hard to estimate this far in the future, depending on how successful the project is. I guess we will start by using bigger, more simple alternatives. For example maybe a linear actuator would be simpler to construct a printable version than a stepper motor.

[jsrreprap.blogspot.com]
July 28, 2010 12:47PM
My estimation would be all the mechanics being RP parts in less than 5 years - see the possibilities of Sarrus linkages - here is a link on thingiverse - or rack and pin.

I think Frank Davies has moved his development and documentation to :
http://reprap.org/wiki/Sarrus_Z_Linkage
http://reprap.org/wiki/Sarrus_Z02
http://reprap.org/wiki/Sarrus_L04

That said, I don't have a current snapshot of his research and don't know when we'll be front-paging it.
smiling bouncing smiley

-Sebastien, RepRap.org library gnome.

Remember, you're all RepRap developers (once you've joined the super-secret developer mailing list), and the wiki, RepRap.org, [reprap.org] is for everyone and everything! grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login