Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Metric bolt/nut set

Posted by mel0n 
Metric bolt/nut set
July 13, 2015 04:10PM
Does anybody have a good source for metric nuts/bolts? None of the hardware stores around me carry anything metric. I had a bunch of extras in my Folger Tech i3 kit, but I am starting to run dry on hardware and need to order some more.

So far the best I can find is this:
[www.amazon.com]

But its only M4 and up. I am looking for something with a nice assortment of M3 and M4 bolts and nuts. The best I can find is this:
[www.amazon.com]

However that company is very shady and they offer the same kit of bolts in black, and according to the reviews, the bolts are actually PLASTIC! They are advertised as stainless steel but they are plastic, so I don't very much trust ordering from this "Shitong" company and world-com store thats distributing them.

I am looking for a kit because I just want to have a bunch on hand in different sizes for different projects. It would be a lot more convenient than ordering specific bolts each time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2015 04:12PM by mel0n.

My creations/2020 aluminum parts/FolgerTech i3 upgrades [www.thingiverse.com]
Re: Metric bolt/nut set
July 13, 2015 04:26PM
I buy hardware- including metric- via amazon.com all the time.

You can usually find assortments as well as individual parts in any quantity you need.
July 14, 2015 05:56AM
I picked up a Mini Kossel screw set (even though I wasn't building one) from TriDPrinting last year, because it had a great assortment of M3 screws:

http://www.tridprinting.com/Mechanical-Parts/#3D-Printer-Kossel-Nuts-Bolts-Screw-Kit

They also have bulk screws.....
July 14, 2015 09:51AM
I went through this a while back and found that the sets weren't effective. A box of 100 screws can cost as little as $4.00 in this size range ( [www.mcmaster.com] ), and even less if you go to a cheaper/import source.

I went to a local fastener supplier and bought 5-6 lengths each from m2, m2.5, m3, m4, m5, and m6 (plus nuts and washers). IIRC it cost $3-6 a box. The sheer amount of time and frustration saved made it completely worthwhile.
July 14, 2015 10:02AM
I went through this a while back and found that the sets weren't effective. A box of 100 screws can cost as little as $4.00 in this size range ( [www.mcmaster.com] ), and even less if you go to a cheaper/import source.

I went to a local fastener supplier and bought 5-6 lengths each from m2, m2.5, m3, m4, m5, and m6 (plus nuts and washers). IIRC it cost $3-6 a box. The sheer amount of time and frustration saved made it completely worthwhile.

Yeah I have been seriously considering this. I ordered the shitong kit for now and will order 100 packs of the ones I still need.

My creations/2020 aluminum parts/FolgerTech i3 upgrades [www.thingiverse.com]
July 14, 2015 11:35AM
I use a lot of 6-32 hardware in my stuff (US still uses idiotic imperial units). I print 3.2mm holes and then just screw the screws into plastic most of the time, but when I need more security I use nuts. I bought a multicompartment box and a bunch of 6-32 screws of different lengths, nuts, flat and lock washers, and I keep a drill and tap in the box too. It saves a lot of time over hunting through boxes full of random hardware. I think I'll be adding some threaded inserts for when nuts are not optimal.
July 14, 2015 09:21PM
If you're in the US. One thing to keep in mind is Home Depot now carries metric fasteners. I usually go there when I need something quick.

When I am repairing something and I run into a strange nut or screw I usually order from McMaster Carr.

Four sets of metrics crews, I usually go to eBay and order from China. It takes a long time to get, but the price is always right and I've never had a problem when it comes to quality.

If I ordered something on Amazon in stainless steel and it came to me in plastic, I would send it back. Amazon is pretty good when it comes to returns. I've never had a problem, I just contact the seller, tell them that I want to return the item and Amazon sends me a shipping label and a UPS truck. I hand the box to the UPS driver, he places the shipping label on the box and it's a done.
July 14, 2015 09:26PM
I live in Utah... I goto a store called Bolt & Nut supply(there are 3 or 4 of them)... and get anything I want in almost any quantity, or get it ordered without much hassle or cost. I'm sure they're not the only store around that does it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login